ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 AM
book should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great research topic.

It is insane how much money people are spending on depression pills every year. Yet, scientists have been saying for a while now, that exercise is probably the best anti-depressant solution in existence. And guess what--it costs nothing! Just grab a pair of shoes and go run. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Or at most, buy a gym membership.

When analyzing this guys, I would think critically. Mechanisms could include: structural changes, chemical changes, perhaps psychological changes, such as distractions, and social interaction, etc.

There are a lot of theories on this. The President has come up with an awesome one, that we hope to publish on soon. I am sure he will share that with you guys later soon in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Structural change : Increased muscle mass/decreased bodyfat. Increased fitness and general well being

chemical change: well I imagine the increased cortisol and endoprhins from exercise would have a relaxing effect. Also increase in growth hormones and other anabolic hormones may contribute to a sense of well being

Physiological effects: Well I think a lot of times people get depressed because they see their lives stagnating or even heading back wards (monotonous lifestyle, loss of job/family member, injury etc..et..) and exercise gives them an outlet that they can achieve on. When they notice the changes in their body it's like a beacon for them, that there is something they are doing that is improving there life and is exciting.

Well at least those are my thoughts. I remember when I was really injured how depressed I got when I wasn't training and numerous times I've seen board members exclaiming how they hate not being able to train.