ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Research Question of the Week: What is Stress?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 PM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: What is Stress?

ok i don't have much time so i will post the basics:

• What is stress?

Dr. Hans Selye (a pioneer in studying physiological responses) would define stress as "The nonspecific reponse of the body to any demand made upon it".

Stressors would be the things that upset or excite us in the same way whether they are positive or negative.

Stress can be acute, episodic, or chronic, depending on the nature of the stressor. Acute stressors trigger a breif but intense response to a specific incident. Episodic stress cause regular but intermittent elevations in stress levels. Chronic stressors are any long term stressors in one's life.

• Are there such a thing as good and bad stress?

Absolutely! Some of life's happiest moments are enormously stressful.

Selye describes eustress as the positive stress in our lives. Eustress challenges us to grow, adapt, and find creative solutions in our lives.

Distress refers to the negative effects of stress that can deplete or even destroy "life energy".

• How can/do we use stress to improve ourselves

Ideally, the level of stress in our lives should be just high enough to motivate us to satisfy our needs and not so high that it interferes with our ability to reach our fullest potentail.

• How can we relieve “bad” stress?

A few methods include:
-Breathing: deep breaths relax the body
-Refocusing: thining about a situation you can't control only increases the sress you feel. Focus on other subjects instead.
-Serenity breaks
-Stress signals: learn to recognize them and act early
-Reality checks: put things into proper perspective
-Laughter
-Spiritual coping
-Sublimation or redirection of engergy (aka. going for a run when you are upset)
-Exercise: regular physical activity can not only relieve stress but it also boosts energy, and lifts your mood and most importantly[b] controls stress[b]

Some more relaxation tips:

Relaxation is the physical and mental state opposite to stress. There are a few that i will go over once i get the time later today so stay tuned [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also want to go over the General Adaptation Syndrome if nobody beats me to it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth I’ve discovered is that you don’t have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesn’t know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23