ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Steak
Thread: Steak
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 AM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Steak

<font color="red"> ........................................The Science of Steak............................................. . </font>

Vitamin B12 – Cobalamin

Red meats such as steak are rich in Vitamin B12 (cobalamin). Their primary function are in the formation of red blood cells and help in the metabolism of fat cells, which make up the myelin sheath surrounding the nerves. This makes it necessary for maintaining the nervous system and brain function.
- Vitamin B-Complex
[ QUOTE ]
It helps nerve cells, red blood cells, and the manufacturing/repair of DNA. It is vital for processing carbohydrates, proteins and fats, which help make all of the blood cells in our bodies. It also assists memory

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron

There are two types of iron, haem iron, and non-haem iron. Red meats are high in haem iron, which are more easily absorbed by the body. Iron is necessary for the production of hemoglobin and supplies the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. Each hemoglobin carries 4 oxygen units: 2 alpha proteins and 2 beta proteins. Each protein has an iron heme, which binds oxygen units. Therefore iron is vital in the process of transporting oxygen to the brain as well as all the muscles in the body.

Zinc and Cholesterol

Red meat contains high levels of zinc, which is an essential trace mineral that has many critical anabolic effects and cholesterol, which gets converted into testosterone.
- Supplement Review - ZMA
[ QUOTE ]
Zinc
If you are deficient in this mineral you are seriously sabotaging your efforts! A deficiency will noticeably decrease muscle strength and endurance! Zinc literally promotes healing, tissue repair, and muscle growth. And as I was discussing earlier it helps to optimize and increase Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1, Growth Hormone, and the all mighty Testosterone! In addition, many of the enzymes that prevent the buildup of lactic acid (the "fatigue acids") require zinc. Doesn't sound like something you want to mess with does it? Exactly!

[/ QUOTE ]
In males the pituitary releases follicle simulating hormone (FSH) and lutenizing hormone (LH – even though lutenizing only occurs in females!!). FSH stimulates seminiferous tubules, which produce spermatozoa, and LH stimulates interstitial cells (also known as leydig cells), which converts cholesterol into testosterone. Low levels of zinc prevent the pituitary from releasing LH and FSH which would inhibit testosterone secretion.

Mood &amp; Memory
The hippocampus of the brain is known for its involvement in 3 types of memory: Working memory, declarative memory, and procedural memory. The hippocampus can be divided into at least 5 different areas, one of which is the “mossy fibers”. Zinc is found in these areas and when deficient, side effects such as a decline in memory and cognition have been exhibited. Reduction in fatigue and mood swings has been shown when supplementing with Zinc Sulfate.

Creatine

The measurements I found for creatine are as follows:
1kg of fresh steak contains 5g of creatine. 10lbs of steak is 20g of creatine.
There is roughly 1g of creatine in 8oz of steak. This amount is not significant to make any noticeable differences in a workout, especially with a current creatine user.

Arginine

The only specific amounts of arginine in red meat, which I found, are:
“The 420-g (14.78oz) red meat diet would have provided 7.3 g arginine compared with 1.04 g from the 60-g diet (24 ).” If my math is correct this would be 3.5g arginine for 7.4oz of red meat. However I don’t hold these findings to be 100% accurate so I am not going to expand on them.

Saturated Fat

Steak contains more saturated fat and thus maybe medium chain triglycerides, however I did not find if it definitely contains MCT’s.

Triglyceride means: Tri - 3 and glyceride refers to the ester of glycerol. Each triglyceride is different based on the length of the fatty acid attached to each glycerol.

MCT's contain only 2/3 the energy compared to a long chain fatty acid and therefore burn much more quickly. Long chain fatty acids such as flaxseed oil (polyunsaturated fatty acid) slow down digestion, with around 9cals/gram. MCT’s are shorter in chain length so they have roughly 6.8cals/gram. Unlike LCT, MCT begins hydrolysis in the stomach, making gastric emptying much more rapid. It also creates a much higher fat burning environment. There are three mechanisms, which I have read about that make MCT preferentially oxidized. MCT does not need carnitine transferase in order to diffuse across the mitochondria membrane, therefore they are much more likely to be oxidized for energy then be stored as fat. Lipoprotein lipase (LPL) is an enzyme located in the endothelial walls within muscle and fat tissue. The rate of TG uptake is proportional to the activity of LPL. MCT consumption have shown to lead to a lower adipose tissue LPL activity compared to that of LCT, showing a decrease in fat storage. Lastly, cytosolic fatty acid binding proteins lead intracellularly where the fatty acids undergo rapid activation into acyl-CoA. LCFA have a much higher affinity to these FABP then MCFA most likely because of LCFA’s hydrophobic properties.

Even though the MCT's does not need L-Carnitine for transport, a 6oz steak contains around 200mg of carnitine, which will aid in the other fats within the food for increased oxidation.

Satiating effect:
Cholecystokinin is a hormone secreted in the duodenal mucosa. Partially digested fats and proteins within the lumen of the duodenum is the greatest stimulent for cholecystokinin. This hormone was first termed pancreozymin but was later changed to the current term cholecystokinin, which means “to move gallbladder”. In lab tests, injection of CCK into the ventricles of the brain induced satiety. MCT’s have been shown to optimally raise CCK levels compared to LCT’s, which would reduce hunger however there are conflicting studies on this. Other investigations include the satiating effect of hyperglycemia. Compared to LCT’s, MCT’s illicit a slight hypoglycemic state. A reasonable explanation would be because Medium Chain Fatty Acids as well as Ketone bodies which are a hepatic production post MCT’s intake, have a direct stimulatory effect on the beta cell islets within the pancreas. This would induce a short satiating effect because of the hyperinsulinemic response of the beta cells. A collection of many variables, which I have not investigated enough, increases satiety through regulatory sensors of the central nervous system. Nevertheless many short term studies have shown MCT’s to have satiating properties.

Insulin like Growth Factor

Insulin Like Growth Factor (IGF-1) is a peptide hormone secreted mainly by the liver but also produced by several other tissues in response to growth hormone. In addition to its role in metabolism, IGF-1 induces cellular proliferation/hypertrophy. In studies on the consumption of red meats results found that both mono- and polyunsaturated fats did not play a role in the regulation of serum IGF-1 but the saturated fats from red meats were significantly associated with serum levels of both IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels. (Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 17, Issue 10 (October), 1999: 3291-3298)

The Growth Hormone - IGF Axis and its role in Muscular Hypertrophy
[ QUOTE ]
the binding of IGF-1 to an IGF-1 receptor activates a tyrosine kinase, which sets in motion a series of phosphorylations, which lead to activation of various genes, such as those coding for myofibrillar proteins. Finally, there are six IGF binding proteins (IGF-BP), which IGF-1 is transported in when circulating in the blood. The dominant binding protein is IGF-BP-3 (Adams., 2003).

[/ QUOTE ]
Opposing studies have shown that high fat diets including saturated fats induce insulin resistance as well as IGF-1 resistance but upon further investigation there was a higher correlation to those individuals that were overweight and/or obese.

Conclusions:

[ QUOTE ]
I have better pumps in the weight room, my performance increases

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron - Increases oxygen carrying capacity.
Zinc and Cholesterol - optimize the formation of Testosterone which is the king of anabolism!
Saturated Fat - Increase oxidative capacity from MCT's which increases metabolism and allows for a quicker pathway for ATP formation. Also raises IGF-I levels, which induces hypertrophy.

BCAA's
Finally, the most obvious anabolic part of red meat is its rich source of protein; more specifically, Branch Chain Amino Acids. BCAA's serve as a fuel source during severe stress on skeletal muscle, promote protein synthesis and even act as subsrates for gluconeogenesis which greatly suppresses catabolism (muscle breakdown).

[ QUOTE ]
my feeling of well being shoots up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, Vitamin B-12 and Zinc all increase brain function!