ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

Hey, book [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Monsoly:saturated

Though in hind sigh I can see there really wouldn't be much variation now I read up on some things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that is a very difficult question, and partially the purpose of this thread. It needs to be investigated!

I will say this: there is no set optimal dosage for either of those fats.

Wilson, G (2003) covered polyunsaturated fats extensively in his EFA article. He suggested that At least 30% of your daily fat should come from EFAs, while using a a 2:1 and 3:1 ratio of omega-3mega-6. This recommendation was contrary to the mantra that has been spread by numerous others that your omega 6:3 ratio should actually be higher. This was based on clear scientific data suggesting omega 3s were superior to omega 6s.

Typically, it is recommended not to have more than 10% of your calories from saturated fats. But this is based on its negative effects. If my research hypothesis is correct, that medium chain triglycerides can elicit the anabolic benefits of saturated fats without these negative effects, that would destroy the entire foundation of this recommendation.

Another issue is that bodybuilders often increase their saturated fats to enhance testosterone production during bulks, and decrease them to avoid fat gain during cuts. But again, studies on MCT may change this mindset.

Monounsaturated fats have been associated with improved cardiovascular health in various studies, so most are strong advocates of its use.

But the optimal ratio is something I have not determined, yet. One of our goals this year in JHR is to discuss Saturated fats, Monounsaturated fats, Polyunsaturated fats, and MCTs. Within we want to cover their benefits, side effects, and the optimal dosage for each, and if this would vary during cutting and bulking phases. Further, we plan to break down individual fats within these classes (i.e. omega 3 vs. 6 polyunsaturated fats). So stay tuned!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.