ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Endless is swimming upstream
Bantamweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

I know this won't really help because research stuff is not my strong point, but I was looking at articles trying to find some info about this and I found one article that seems to be relevant, but I can't find the full-text version. I know, it's stupid of me to judge based on the abstract alone, but it's all I've got right now. Perhaps you have some magical research article powers and you can find the full text...if not, I'll keep looking. Anyway, here's what the abstract says:

"There is considerable epidemiological evidence that a Western-style diet may increase the risk of certain hormone-dependent conditions in men via its effects on hormone metabolism. Experimental evidence also suggests that dietary factors may exert subtle effects on hormone metabolism. Here we review the clinical and epidemiological evidence that diet is associated with circulating sex hormone levels in men. In comparison with factors such as age and BMI, nutrients do not appear to be strong determinants of sex hormone levels. Dietary intervention studies have not shown that a change in dietary fat and/or dietary fibre intake is associated with changes in circulating sex hormone concentrations over the short term. The data on the effects of dietary phyto-oestrogens on sex hormone levels in men are too limited for conclusions to be drawn. Observational studies between men from different dietary groups have shown that a vegan diet is associated with small but significant increases in sex-hormone-binding globulin and testosterone concentrations in comparison with meat-eaters. However, these studies have not demonstrated that variations in dietary composition have any long-term important effects on circulating bioavailable sex hormone levels in men. This lack of effect may be partly explained by the body's negative feedback mechanism, which balances out small changes in androgen metabolism in order to maintain a constant level of circulating bioavailable androgens. It appears, therefore, that future studies should look for dietary effects on the feedback mechanism itself, or on the metabolism of androgens within the target tissues."

Article: The effects of diet on circulating sex hormone levels in men
Authors: Allen-NE; Key-TJ
Nutrition-Research-Reviews (NUTR-RES-REV) 2000 Dec; 13(2): 159-84 (159 ref)

Just based on this info, does this agree with what you told me earlier, Venom?
-endless