ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How to train my back with neck pain? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96145)

Kryogen 02-23-2014 03:09 AM

How to train my back with neck pain?

Hi, I havent been here for a few years. I joined 13 years ago when I was 16 (now 29).

During those few years when I lifted back then, I injured my neck doing behind the head wide grip lat pulldowns.

I started lifting again 2 weeks ago and I am having an issue with neck pain.

I cant seem to find back exercices that do not make my neck hurt. Even if I keep my neck straight, pretty much all back exercices put a strain on your neck and they hurt.

Worst with pulldowns (front), and hurts with shoulder presses also.

Any suggestion of back exercices that would not hurt my neck? Seems to me like lower cable rows hurt less, but I can still feel the tension in my neck.

rickck48 02-23-2014 08:02 PM

Have you tried the head supported barbell rows and dumbbell rows? These are under the exercise section. I would suggest you read others to see if they are to your liking. Best of the day. If I find anything else I will bring it along. RTR!

Ratcat 02-24-2014 08:19 AM

Do squats. Thats not a back exercise I hear you say. Well do them anyway. Do them for three months and then try out your back exercises. Don't have to go too heavy to start with but with good form. Keep your chin up and after three months work up to body weight. Then start your back exercises. :)

Algavinn 02-25-2014 02:10 AM

This isn't the type of pain to ignore. I would not be working out with that pain persisting. Have you had it looked at by an MD/PT or other medical pro that can work with corrective issues? Was the pain instant as you started to work the back, or is it afterward your workout/builds as you go?

Do you have any other aches or pains, even if they seem unrelated?

Kryogen 02-25-2014 03:44 AM

will try to go to a physiotherapist and maybe get some x rays at the hospital, and talk about it to my doctor I guess (if she ever has time to see me).

happens when working out, and it's usually worse after(like the next morning).
It's not a terrybly "sharp" pain, like a shock, it's hard to describe. It doesnt feel like a muscle ache either. It feels like a dull ache in my neck, and it gives me headaches.
But it also feels like my whole traps are sore and tired, my job doesnt help that. Dentist, always bending over the patient with my neck bent forward and sideways.

Oh well, will try to get it checked out.

rickck48 02-25-2014 05:37 PM

Hey man praying for your release from those problems. Let us know if you don't mind how it goes.

Kryogen 02-27-2014 03:44 AM

well yesterday I did leg and shoulder day and did only a few shoulder exercices with light weights and lots of stretching and it was already way better the next morning. Pain is gone.

It seems like I must not overstress my neck with any exercice that stresses it, and I am fine.

Maybe with time as my neck muscles get stronger I will have less issues.

Ratcat 02-27-2014 08:34 AM

That is my strategy. I work around my injuries till everything works itself out. :)

Birthright1 02-27-2014 09:07 AM

So here is what I do when I have a neck ache. It is usually due to a tight muscle in the shoulder blade area below the traps near the center of the back. To cure this I lean over (bent at the waste like you were going to do cherry pickers) put my arms straight out on the side of a table and do a behind the head military press while bending my head down as far as i can. It releases the knot I get and relieves my neck and the tension headaches that come with it. Hope this helps and if you don’t understand what I am talking about I will try to explain better just let me know.

Kryogen 03-01-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birthright1 (Post 928209)
To cure this I lean over (bent at the waste like you were going to do cherry pickers) put my arms straight out on the side of a table and do a behind the head military press while bending my head down as far as i can.

Um, this is probably the best way to destroy your spine. Exactly what I am trying to avoid doing...