ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   cardio and bulking help (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96029)

wannagetbig 11-09-2013 10:32 AM

cardio and bulking help

Hi everyone

New to the forum - after reading Dr Wilson's article and listening to the podcast - i thought i would join the community here.

I have a question regarding cardio and bulking.

I am currently trying to bulk, weight training 4x a week (Mon, tues, thurs, fri) I train every BP twice per week, with legs trained on Monday and Thursday

However, for the past year (up until a month), i have been doing cardio every day (30 min incl walking on workout days, and running on the off-days).

Having read Dr Wilsons articles, i have changed my schedule, so that i am no longer running, and am doing HIIT cardio sessions on the spin bike and rower on workout days and on SAT, and lower (medium) intensity cardio on Wed and FRI (with one 6 min tabata hiit on the rower on these days).

I am wondering whether i am overdoing the HIIT sessions? ( Should i have one complete rest day or reduce the HIIT session and include a low intensity session?
A sample HIIT session on the spin bike is
10 min warm-up steady
5 x 1 min intervals (1 min rest)
1 x 6 min tabata intervals (20 sec on, 10 off)
4 x 10 sec all out (1/2 resistance), 20 sec all out (max resistance) - taken from layne nortons 'best god damm cardio' suggestion

I am completely open to change my schedule so that i can MAXIMISE muscle gain - but i do want to keep in some shape/conditioning - especially since i LOVE TO EAT!!
i also note that i lack leg size and is a weak point (i guess thats because i was always running previously).

Any help on structuring this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gregsimo 11-13-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannagetbig (Post 927519)

I am completely open to change my schedule so that i can MAXIMISE muscle gain - but i do want to keep in some shape/conditioning - especially since i LOVE TO EAT!!
i also note that i lack leg size and is a weak point (i guess thats because i was always running previously).

Based on your current program and training, cardiovascular wise you should be in great shape.
Above you have set your goals at Maximizing muscle gain.
Adjust your training to focus on this, when bulking you don't want your cardio to interfere with recovery. So for example you'd wait at least 24 hrs after training legs before performing sprints (cycling or treadmill).
Also I personally have found its better to perform cardio on off days only. Reason being that more time in the gym results in more time spent with your body being in a catabolic state, never good! The aim when bulking should be to get in and out with no fuss, lift hard and heavy, then eat.
So based on that I would only perform cardio 2-3 times a week using HIIT on a stationary bike rather than treadmill. And try to avoid it clashing with a day of training and ideally 2-3 days between each cardio session.

Your day should look like this:
-Wake up and eat.
-Eat more then get ready to train.
-Train hard then drink a Post workout drink
-Eat some more
-Eat some more
-Eat some more
-Eat some more
-Sleep for 8hrs
-Repeat

That's what my focus looks like when I'm trying to gain muscle. Admittedly you are going to gain fat as well but you have to put your 6 pack behind you if you want to achieve serious gains. The main thing that will keep you lean but gaining size is controlling your Macros correctly.

Jedew 12-21-2013 01:28 PM

Once you gain weight, its easy to make it lean or get 6 packs.