ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Depth Nutrition (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   so clean foods is just hype for nothing? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95962)

weightbanger 08-26-2013 08:14 PM

so clean foods is just hype for nothing?

So I am getting confused. I have people telling me to eat clean to lose weight, and I have others who say just count your calories. Which is it? What am I missing here? Mods? What do I need to do to really shed some weight off.
Thanks

arian11 08-26-2013 09:38 PM

There is no set definition for "clean" when it comes to food. It is a subjective word and every one has a different opinion/bias towards it. If you want to read and learn more in depth on it, check out this article:

http://impruvism.com/clean-eating/

The basics to losing/maintaining/gaining weight is calories in vs calories out. There are some other variables that come into play, but this is a nice place to begin at and adjust accordingly. So if you want to lose weight, you need your body to use up more calories than you put in (caloric deficit). This can be done by eating less or doing more work. I think most people would recommend to do more work since you don't want to end up like one of those people who eats only 800 calories a day.

Jemimasmith 08-27-2013 05:26 AM

the facts have been given there are eye opener ... but i am running good with my health and fitness by following the traditional ways of what to eat and workout and what to avoid in both..

weightbanger 08-27-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arian11 (Post 927027)
There is no set definition for "clean" when it comes to food. It is a subjective word and every one has a different opinion/bias towards it. If you want to read and learn more in depth on it, check out this article:

http://impruvism.com/clean-eating/

The basics to losing/maintaining/gaining weight is calories in vs calories out. There are some other variables that come into play, but this is a nice place to begin at and adjust accordingly. So if you want to lose weight, you need your body to use up more calories than you put in (caloric deficit). This can be done by eating less or doing more work. I think most people would recommend to do more work since you don't want to end up like one of those people who eats only 800 calories a day.

Thanks, I would rather increase my workload. So if my cutting calories was at 2300, I would lose the same amount whether I ate oats, chicken breast, tuna or if I ate chocolate bars, soda, greasy burgers? as long as they are both 2300?
What about insulin response? That has nothing to do with weight loss? its just a simple calories in vs calories out? What's the point in buying expensive "clean" food then lol

Commander 08-27-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weightbanger (Post 927035)
Thanks, I would rather increase my workload. So if my cutting calories was at 2300, I would lose the same amount whether I ate oats, chicken breast, tuna or if I ate chocolate bars, soda, greasy burgers? as long as they are both 2300?

In the short term the answer is "yes". However, long term dieting with lots of saturated fat, trans fat, sugar, white flour, excessive sodium, etc. has documented negative effects on health.

It's about moderation, enjoy some junk food every now and then, fit it into your macros and go back to clean eating. Don't live on junk.

Quote:

What about insulin response? That has nothing to do with weight loss? its just a simple calories in vs calories out?

Yes, it does. How serious you get with diet depends on your goals and level of discipline. If you want to really get lean and look like a bodybuilder, than it is best to choose healthier options the majority of the time while still allowing the occasionaly higher carb/fat food that fits your macros.

Quote:

What's the point in buying expensive "clean" food then lol

I have never understood this argument.

"Clean" food is cheap.

I buy frozen chicken breasts, canned tuna, ground beef, whey protein (in bulk), rice and potatoes.

The "unclean" foods, like burger patties, prepacked/processed dinners, fried chicken at the deli, all cost more money per unit (pound, ounces, etc) than the "clean" foods.

Start adding up how many grams of protein and carbs you get for a meal of chicken and rice and compare it to a fried chicken sandwich on a bun. For equal money, you will get more protein and carbs from the plain chicken and rice meal.

weightbanger 08-27-2013 04:36 PM

Thanks commander. I'm not looking to bodybuild. My goal right now is just to drop weight and get healthier. I have a lot of physical ailments because of my weight gain. I do not have what it takes, nor have the drive anymore to even consider myself to bodybuild. I at one point, considered doing so and dropped 100 lbs 5 or 6 years ago using this site. You all know what you are talking about, always have. Plus, everyone else doesn't even train legs...all they focus on is arms and chest. Yes eating clean maybe cheaper, but you have to buy a lot more to meet caloric requirements. I can buy a loaf of bread, baloney and cheese, with regular mayo and make a 400 calorie sandwhich for the whole week for around 3-4$. Although, nutritionally its garbage. I'm losing my job by the end of this week and my wife doesn't like the idea of buying all this clean food she won't even eat.

only supplements I have are ON whey protein, chromium, magnesium. I can barely do cardio but will be starting the 13 weeks to fat burning this coming monday. I am very motivated to lose more weight again. I don't know if being on a cutting diet for 5-6 months will be bad though lol. I need to drop around 50 lbs

weightbanger 08-27-2013 04:38 PM

Once again I appreciate all the replies and help. I am looking for something a little more practical for me and the wife to eat while not breaking the bank.

bigironcross 08-27-2013 05:31 PM

Hey Commander, I think that you hit the nail on the head. "Clean" food isn't any more expensive than "Unclean" food. But, usually, "Clean" food takes a little more effort to prepare (e.g. your cannot order much "Clean" food from any fast food restaurant).

arian11 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

Commander came in with a great response. As I said, calories in vs calories out is an easy, base level place to start. It shows you around where you should be. Setting up proper macros and hitting them every day should set you up to eat "healthy" as well. Yes you can lose weight eating 1,000 calories from Snickers a day. But you aren't meeting your macros. You certainly aren't hitting your needed protein intake. People try to look at the extremes to disprove what we are saying, but how many people do you know who are putting forth effort into losing weight and are getting all their calories from Snickers? None. Most of us average people eat average food. Meats, dairy, grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables and even some treats every once in awhile.

What I have noticed in people who try to make extreme changes is that they do not last and rebound back to the same weight or higher. I have friends who tried to go from eating fast food and sodas to completely strict. Only water, chicken breast, vegetables, brown rice, etc. They make it a month or two and then quit, it's too much of a change too fast. Slowly make small changes and let them become habit before you make new changes.

How much does a banana cost, 30 cents? If you aren't eating 1 banana every day, then replace some chocolate/candy treat with 1 banana for the next month. You probably just decreased your calories slightly and saved yourself money.

How much does a gallon of milk cost, $4-$5? You just got about 128 g of protein, some quality fats and other nutrients for cheap.

There are many other examples that can be made but just start with a couple and go from there.

Commander 08-28-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weightbanger (Post 927039)
Yes eating clean maybe cheaper, but you have to buy a lot more to meet caloric requirements. I can buy a loaf of bread, baloney and cheese, with regular mayo and make a 400 calorie sandwhich for the whole week for around 3-4$. Although, nutritionally its garbage. I'm losing my job by the end of this week and my wife doesn't like the idea of buying all this clean food she won't even eat.

I am serious, if you are losing your job, you might want to start doing the math. That white bread and bologna may be hurting your budget...compare, it's not even close:

Loaf White Bread
$1.59
Calories 1920 (16 slices at 120 calories)
1208 calories per dollar

vs.

White Rice
$1.79
Calories 4800 (30 servings at 160 calories)
2682 calories per dollar

----

Chicken
$5.99 for a 3 lb bag
$2/lb
1 ounce has 46 calories, 1g fat and 9g protein
368 calories per dollar with 72g protein

vs.

Bologna
$4/lb (lunch meat is never cheap)
1 ounce has 76 calories, 6g fat, 2g carbs and 3g protein
304 calories per dollar and 12g protein

------

Chicken and White rice provide more calories, carbs and protein.