ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members' Discussion: (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Happy Hump Day! (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95945)

10forty2 08-14-2013 12:38 PM

Happy Hump Day!
 
Alright, this place needs to wake up a bit! Time to get crackin'.... up and at- 'em!! It's Hump Day ya'll!!

Great workout this morning! Third day back in the gym after a 6-year hiatus. Although I'm starting back into it slowly, it feels SOOOO good to be back in there lifting. Just to share, here's the weekly bodypart routine I was doing when I left off 6 years ago. Picked it back up on Monday.

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms
Abs Every day.

Begin each workout with a 15 minute walk on the treadmill to get the old ticker up to speed. Starting out with body weight exercises and/or light free weights until my body realizes that I'm not going to give in to its weakness. Trying for 4 exercises per body part for now. 4 sets of 10-12 reps for each exercise. Concentrating on big, compound movements for now....squats, deads, dumbell bench press, barbell rows. Not really trying for isolation work (other than on arm day) for at least another month. The post workout pain feels so good...I'd forgotten what it was like.

My body is in shock at cleaning up my diet again. Can't intake the amount of calories I want right now, but working up to that as well. Probably best that I don't overload it since I'd love to lose about 10lbs of fat and useless jiggle. Just trying to get rid of fast foods and saturated fats that have my cholesterol and blood pressure screaming.

At 48, I'm not getting any younger and I have family history against me in the health department. I started hardcore lifting in 2001 after being initially diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was skinny, smoking, drinking and generally not living a healthy lifestyle. After a couple of years in the gym and making significant lifestyle changes, I went from 140lbs on a 5' 11" frame with 20% body fat to 200lbs and 10% body fat. At age 40, I considered competing in a natural bodybuilding show, but chickened out and never entered.

OK... enough for now. Got a meal to eat!!! Ya'll have a great day!

Ratcat 08-14-2013 01:28 PM

Happy hump day is done and dusted here. Its 925pm and I've just finished my pwo shake. And now I'm going to climb into bed. Enjoy your meal. :)

arian11 08-14-2013 03:00 PM

You only hit each muscle once a week? You should up that frequency!

10forty2 08-14-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arian11 (Post 926931)
You only hit each muscle once a week? You should up that frequency!

Yeah, it's worked VERY well for me in the past. There's actually quite a lot of research out there on training a body part only once per week. The science is in the recovery time. Plus, although you concentrate on only one body part, with compound lifts you are actually using multiple muscle groups. The theory is that you work the crap out of the targeted muscle group and then give it at least 7 days to fully recovery and grow, supported by good nutrition throughout the time period before working that muscle group directly again. Some of the old school BBs of the day would only workout 3 days a week when going for maximum gain. You HAVE to have recovery time.

Muscle growth occurs when you rest, not when you workout. Your goal is to create micro-tears in the muscle fiber, which occurs when you workout. When your body repairs those fibers it actually increases their capabilities by making them bigger and stronger in response to the injury you created. If you don't give your body adequate time and nutrients to repair itself after you hammered it, you will remain in a state of disrepair and never realize your full potential. Gains will come slower, and eventually you will start to go backwards because your body cannot keep up with the needed repairs.

Overtraining is actually worse than undertraining and will affect your overall health!

rickck48 08-14-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10forty2 (Post 926928)
Alright, this place needs to wake up a bit! Time to get crackin'.... up and at- 'em!! It's Hump Day ya'll!!

Great workout this morning! Third day back in the gym after a 6-year hiatus. Although I'm starting back into it slowly, it feels SOOOO good to be back in there lifting. Just to share, here's the weekly bodypart routine I was doing when I left off 6 years ago. Picked it back up on Monday.

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms
Abs Every day.

Begin each workout with a 15 minute walk on the treadmill to get the old ticker up to speed. Starting out with body weight exercises and/or light free weights until my body realizes that I'm not going to give in to its weakness. Trying for 4 exercises per body part for now. 4 sets of 10-12 reps for each exercise. Concentrating on big, compound movements for now....squats, deads, dumbell bench press, barbell rows. Not really trying for isolation work (other than on arm day) for at least another month. The post workout pain feels so good...I'd forgotten what it was like.

My body is in shock at cleaning up my diet again. Can't intake the amount of calories I want right now, but working up to that as well. Probably best that I don't overload it since I'd love to lose about 10lbs of fat and useless jiggle. Just trying to get rid of fast foods and saturated fats that have my cholesterol and blood pressure screaming.

At 48, I'm not getting any younger and I have family history against me in the health department. I started hardcore lifting in 2001 after being initially diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was skinny, smoking, drinking and generally not living a healthy lifestyle. After a couple of years in the gym and making significant lifestyle changes, I went from 140lbs on a 5' 11" frame with 20% body fat to 200lbs and 10% body fat. At age 40, I considered competing in a natural bodybuilding show, but chickened out and never entered.

OK... enough for now. Got a meal to eat!!! Ya'll have a great day!


Wow! 10forty2 you have 6 years listed and I am the same. My low back finally went absolutely out. Not from workouts but from jumping when I was an Airborne Ranger in the Army. I started back about 2 weeks ago. You can see my schedule in the online training. I am doing light workouts and lifting. I actually do no back work other than upper back.
Hey I just to wish Godspeed in getting back to you want to be. I am about to get my journal on my workout for the week so far here. Lift it in form and you won't need anymore. :D

10forty2 08-14-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickck48 (Post 926934)
Wow! 10forty2 you have 6 years listed and I am the same. My low back finally went absolutely out. Not from workouts but from jumping when I was an Airborne Ranger in the Army. I started back about 2 weeks ago. You can see my schedule in the online training. I am doing light workouts and lifting. I actually do no back work other than upper back.
Hey I just to wish Godspeed in getting back to you want to be. I am about to get my journal on my workout for the week so far here. Lift it in form and you won't need anymore. :D

First and foremost Rick, Thanks for your service!!!

Sorry about your back. I have a herniated disk in my neck that, thankfully, I avoided surgery on last year. I had some traditional Chinese acupuncture, lots of rest and some good drugs. It took about 3 months to get over, but so far so good! Still weak on my left side and lost arm mass from being unable to use it. The herniation caused nerve pinching/numbness down my left arm. I still have semi-numb fingers on my left hand but everything's functional so I'm not complaining. I'll probably not get back to the intensity that I was when I stopped, just cause I'm old now and my old joints can't take it. But I do plan to lean back down and re-build some much needed muscle. Keep at it Rick, and you'll achieve your goals!!

rickck48 08-14-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10forty2 (Post 926937)
First and foremost Rick, Thanks for your service!!!

Sorry about your back. I have a herniated disk in my neck that, thankfully, I avoided surgery on last year. I had some traditional Chinese acupuncture, lots of rest and some good drugs. It took about 3 months to get over, but so far so good! Still weak on my left side and lost arm mass from being unable to use it. The herniation caused nerve pinching/numbness down my left arm. I still have semi-numb fingers on my left hand but everything's functional so I'm not complaining. I'll probably not get back to the intensity that I was when I stopped, just cause I'm old now and my old joints can't take it. But I do plan to lean back down and re-build some much needed muscle. Keep at it Rick, and you'll achieve your goals!!


One thing I forgot to add10forty2, I am 59 years old now. I like you have faith in my Lord Jesus and I know this will work if I persevere. Thanks my brother. :D

arian11 08-16-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10forty2 (Post 926933)
Yeah, it's worked VERY well for me in the past. There's actually quite a lot of research out there on training a body part only once per week. The science is in the recovery time. Plus, although you concentrate on only one body part, with compound lifts you are actually using multiple muscle groups. The theory is that you work the crap out of the targeted muscle group and then give it at least 7 days to fully recovery and grow, supported by good nutrition throughout the time period before working that muscle group directly again. Some of the old school BBs of the day would only workout 3 days a week when going for maximum gain. You HAVE to have recovery time.

Muscle growth occurs when you rest, not when you workout. Your goal is to create micro-tears in the muscle fiber, which occurs when you workout. When your body repairs those fibers it actually increases their capabilities by making them bigger and stronger in response to the injury you created. If you don't give your body adequate time and nutrients to repair itself after you hammered it, you will remain in a state of disrepair and never realize your full potential. Gains will come slower, and eventually you will start to go backwards because your body cannot keep up with the needed repairs.

Overtraining is actually worse than undertraining and will affect your overall health!

I don't follow bodybuilding or it's style of training as much anymore. But from what I've read and heard, the 1x a week frequency is mostly what drugged up bodybuilders espouse. On the other hand, most natural bodybuilders (like Dr. Norton) employ a higher frequency. Hence programs like Layne's PHAT.

10forty2 08-16-2013 02:03 PM

If it works for ya brother, then go for it! My body, as an ectomorph, responds better to the increased recovery time. Plus, with the intensity I put into each workout, it takes a week to recover!

Have a great weekend!

arian11 08-16-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10forty2 (Post 926961)
If it works for ya brother, then go for it! My body, as an ectomorph, responds better to the increased recovery time. Plus, with the intensity I put into each workout, it takes a week to recover!

Have a great weekend!

I thought somatotypes have been proven to be broscience.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.