ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Depth Nutrition (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Diabetic Looking to be ripped (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95884)

Yujyea 06-17-2013 02:59 PM

Diabetic Looking to be ripped

Hello! I'm 18 and diabetic type 2. I've been actively involved in gym for 2 years now, and have recently started cutting 3 months ago. I'm at 90Kilos, dropping 13 kilos from 103 kilos. Can anyone suggest a good, effective way to lose weight and grow muscle at the same time? I want to achieve a 10% body fat.

Commander 06-17-2013 04:46 PM

Anyone who wants to lose fat and build muscle must have their diet dialed in.
The great thing is, dialing in the diet should also be really healthy for a diabetic (and anyone for that matter).

Basic tips:
1. Eliminate junk food/processed foods
2. Eliminate as much sugar and flour from your diet as well
3. Increase water consumption
4. Consume 2 to 3 grams of quality protein per kilo of bodyweight
5. Focus a large percentage of daily carbohydrates near the workout.
* Example: 20% in a meal prior, 15% during workout (in a shake), 20% in a meal afterwards

If you've already lost 13 kilos, then you definitely have a general idea of what you are doing. It is just a matter of fine tuning at this point.

Fine Tuning:
1. Weigh yourself daily, calculate your average weight weekly
2. Compare weekly average.
3. If you:
a) Lose 1 or more kilos: consider adding back in a small amount of carbs
b) Lose 0.25 to 1 kilo: keep everything the same
c) Stay even or gained 0 to 1 kilo: cut out a small amount of carbs or increase activity level slightly

4. Repeat process until goal is reached.

The idea is to keep carbs as high as possible for as long as possible. Just make small adjustments. Good luck.

Yujyea 06-19-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander (Post 926533)
Anyone who wants to lose fat and build muscle must have their diet dialed in.
The great thing is, dialing in the diet should also be really healthy for a diabetic (and anyone for that matter).

Basic tips:
2. Eliminate as much sugar and flour from your diet as well
3. Increase water consumption
4. Consume 2 to 3 grams of quality protein per kilo of bodyweight
5. Focus a large percentage of daily carbohydrates near the workout.
* Example: 20% in a meal prior, 15% during workout (in a shake), 20% in a meal afterwards

If you've already lost 13 kilos, then you definitely have a general idea of what you are doing. It is just a matter of fine tuning at this point.

Fine Tuning:
1. Weigh yourself daily, calculate your average weight weekly
2. Compare weekly average.
3. If you:
a) Lose 1 or more kilos: consider adding back in a small amount of carbs
b) Lose 0.25 to 1 kilo: keep everything the same
c) Stay even or gained 0 to 1 kilo: cut out a small amount of carbs or increase activity level slightly

4. Repeat process until goal is reached.

The idea is to keep carbs as high as possible for as long as possible. Just make small adjustments. Good luck.

Thank you so much!!!!

Yujyea 06-19-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander (Post 926533)
Basic tips:

Does this include Tuna, and canned food?

Commander 06-19-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yujyea (Post 926542)
Thank you so much!!!!

No problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yujyea (Post 926543)
Does this include Tuna, and canned food?

Not tuna, but some canned food.

When I say processed, I mean that food is very different from how it was originally. Canned tuna isn't very different from a tuna you purchase at the grocery store and cook on the grill.

Look at the ingredients as well, it is the list of ingredients is longer than your arm and includes words you can't pronounce, it is probably best to avoid it.

Algavinn 06-25-2013 12:10 AM

The first question is, where are you at now? Have you done a substantial bulk before trying to cut? The first and most important thing with diabetic health, insulin and blood sugar management, as well as weight loss is to get your hormones functioning better again, and build a basis of metabolism: aka, muscle. I would try to put on mass first, which will make cutting and fighting diabetes that much easier and more successful.

Where are you at BF wise, resting glucose levels, A1C, etc?

Yujyea 06-27-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Algavinn (Post 926582)
The first question is, where are you at now? Have you done a substantial bulk before trying to cut? The first and most important thing with diabetic health, insulin and blood sugar management, as well as weight loss is to get your hormones functioning better again, and build a basis of metabolism: aka, muscle. I would try to put on mass first, which will make cutting and fighting diabetes that much easier and more successful.

Where are you at BF wise, resting glucose levels, A1C, etc?

I am already at cutting phase, as I have bulked up to 230 pounds, and now already at 190. I have tried to eat in small amounts throughout the day to keep my metabolism high. Is there anything extra that I can do to make my cutting more efficient?

Algavinn 06-27-2013 10:35 PM

Well, despite the general bodybuilding position, I disagree with constant eating throughout the day as much as I disagree with binge eating. We generally use about 10% of the calories we take in for digestion regardless of when we eat it. When we have just consumed food, or still have sugar stores in our liver, our body is not burning fat, as these are the energy reserves we keep to prevent death via starvation in a famine/chronic fasting, and our body does not want to metabolize fat unless it needs to.

So snacking between meals stops active fat metabolism, as does overly frequent eating. Our pancreas (what releases insulin) also only has a small amount of ready insulin, and creates more to deal with our needs as the food is digested, but eating too frequently makes it so the readily deployed insulin isn't fully ready, and it overreacts with extra insulin, damaging our insulin sensitivity.

As such we burn most of our fat during the middle of the night to early morning during repair and rebuilding, and is stopped by breaking fast. This is a reason why I personally don't break fast until about 4-5 hours after I get up, and as long as your muscles are metabolically active (aka you've been working them out) and you are getting enough calories in general, you should not start losing muscle mass sooner than 24 hours of fasting. HOWEVER, I don't generally suggest this to people, but physiologically it has been doing very well for me, and after a while you get used to it and realize that in the morning it's just mental 'daemons' telling you to eat, and after a while the hunger dies down. My gut feels better for it too with more down time to repair and clear out. It is something that needs to be eased into.

AGAIN: I don't really suggest this for most people, and I wouldn't condone a diabetic trying it, as that may ***k with your blood sugar levels negatively, but I would cut down the frequency of your meals to 3-4 tops (aside from PWO), cutting out snacks, unless these are necessary steps to manage blood sugar levels as advised by a medical professional.

George123 08-03-2013 11:54 AM

I am glad to know that you are in these things and surely it can take you to the next level i mean the kinda things you expect from it.
Best way to get rid of diabetes is workout and controlling the diet.

rickck48 08-04-2013 04:31 PM

I also am a diabetic type II. I sure look forward to reading more on this subject from you guys.