ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Occlusion Training For Injury Rehab? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95801)

SnuffSaid 03-23-2013 12:35 PM

Occlusion Training For Injury Rehab?
 
I underwent discectomy surgery 5 or 6 months ago on my L5-S1 disc, my physiotherapist has recommended kaatsu/occlusion training to build back a little strength and size whilst I still can't use heavy loads.

The problem is I can only find studies that testify to the efficacy of occlusion, usually by applying it to one muscle group (typically the quadriceps). However, I'm wanting to use occlusion to build a balanced full body routine, not to bring up a lagging body part or supplement a standard strength training routine. The closest to decent information I've come to was two studies by "Jeremy Loenneke", a member of this site who appears to no longer be active.

I guess I must need spoonfeeding because despite the papers being rather thorough, I'm still at a loss as to how to structure such a routine since I can't apply much of my knowledge of strength training to this field, which is alien to me.

My physio recommended 1 upper and 1 lower exercise per day, 4 sets to failure with 20% 1MR, 9 days on, 4 days off. A study I read that did similarly amongst American football players used only squat and bench press, but I can't imagine that will do wonders for my upper back and deltoid size, or my pull-up strength etc. But if I do, say;

Day 1 - Squat + Bench
Day 2 - Deadlift + Lat Pull / Inverted Row
Day 3 - Calf Raise + Military Press
And so forth...

Will this reduced frequency in hitting each body part hinder results? What exactly is optimal in occlusion training?

Apologies for the length of the post but I've found frustratingly little about this via Google.

Any recommendations on how I can go about this?

NJI 03-24-2013 04:46 AM

Occlusion training has its roots in rehab and it can effectively aid the healing of an injured muscle. Check out the article on ABC here before proceeding:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ABCocclusionpaper.pdf

Use wide knee wraps. You can occlude your quads/hams by wrapping up thight, calve by wrapping just above or below the knee. Delts/biceps/triceps/forearms are pretty easy to wrap you made need a partner to help you. There isn't really any way to occlude your chest or back though.

SnuffSaid 03-24-2013 02:50 PM

Thank you for the reply,

As mentioned in my original post I have already read both articles Jeremy Loenneke's posted to this site, which is why I joined up, I have a few follow up questions I didn't feel were answered.

The article lists exercise recommendations, but not recommended volume or frequency. My physiotherapist recommended only one upper body and one lower body exercise per day for 9 days straight then resting 4 days, so all I've been able to do is combine the two sources of information and then attempt to make a routine that covers my full body.

I really have no idea how effective this would be though, occlusion is such a foreign way of training to me, here's what a I drew up laid out in it's entirity;

Day 1 - Bench + Squat
Day 2 - Barbell Row + Leg Ext.
Day 3 - Military Press + Trap Deadlift
Day 4 - Lat Pull + Leg Curl
Day 5 - Skullcrusher + Calf Raise
Day 6 - Zottman Curl + Romanian Deadlift
Day 7 - Bench + Squat
Day 8 - Barbell Row + Leg Ext.
Day 9 - Military Press + Trap Deadlift
Day 10 - Rest
Day 12 - Rest
Day 13 - Rest
Day 14 -Rest

Oh and I decided to use blood pressure cuffs instead of knee wraps.

NJI 03-24-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926029)
Thank you for the reply,
I really have no idea how effective this would be though, occlusion is such a foreign way of training to me, here's what a I drew up laid out in it's entirity;

I would call/ask your physio for clarification. They'll probably only recommend 3 sets occluded, and maybe another 3 sets occluded.

Kenny Croxda 03-26-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926029)
Thank you for the reply,

As mentioned in my original post I have already read both articles Jeremy Loenneke's posted to this site, which is why I joined up, I have a few follow up questions I didn't feel were answered.

The article lists exercise recommendations, but not recommended volume or frequency. My physiotherapist recommended only one upper body and one lower body exercise per day for 9 days straight then resting 4 days, so all I've been able to do is combine the two sources of information and then attempt to make a routine that covers my full body.

Practical Occlusion Training
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ABCocclusionpaper.pdf

Leonneke provide you with the volume (sets/reps) in this article. It appears you probably have it.

As a powerlifter, I implement Occlusion Training on my off days as a means of recovery and hypertrophy training.

My knowledge is limited to that area and not to rehab. So, I don't cannot provided you with any rehab information.


Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926029)
I really have no idea how effective this would be though, occlusion is such a foreign way of training to me,

It is initially foreign to everyone. I first read about it in 2008. Dr Layne Norton wrote a good article on.

It took me a while to understand it and ease into it.

When you examine the concept, you find that bodybuilders have utilized some form of blood restrtiction training forever.

Muscle contractions restrict venous blood flow back to the heart. Thus, moderate to high repetition sets create "The Pump" which means venous blood flow to back to the heart has been restricted.

"The Pump" means blood is dammed up in the muscle.

Another method that bodybuilders use is to maintain constant tension on the muscles in a set by not resting the bar at the bottom or locking it out at the top of the movement. That restricts blood flow.

Thus, Occlusion Training is build on "The Pump" and what bodybuilders have done forever.

"The Pump" creates an anabolic enviroment for muscle growth.


Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926029)
here's what a I drew up laid out in it's entirity;

Day 1 - Bench + Squat
Day 2 - Barbell Row + Leg Ext.
Day 3 - Military Press + Trap Deadlift
Day 4 - Lat Pull + Leg Curl
Day 5 - Skullcrusher + Calf Raise
Day 6 - Zottman Curl + Romanian Deadlift
Day 7 - Bench + Squat
Day 8 - Barbell Row + Leg Ext.
Day 9 - Military Press + Trap Deadlift
Day 10 - Rest
Day 12 - Rest
Day 13 - Rest
Day 14 -Rest

As Einstein said, "Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing.

Give it a try and see how it works.


Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926029)
Oh and I decided to use blood pressure cuffs instead of knee wraps.

I found exercise tube cheap and easier to work with.

Occlusion Training definitely has a place on the training table.

Kenny Croxdale

Jorgan VonStrangle 04-05-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffSaid (Post 926024)
I underwent discectomy surgery 5 or 6 months ago on my L5-S1 disc, my physiotherapist has recommended kaatsu/occlusion training to build back a little strength and size whilst I still can't use heavy loads.

The problem is I can only find studies that testify to the efficacy of occlusion, usually by applying it to one muscle group (typically the quadriceps). However, I'm wanting to use occlusion to build a balanced full body routine, not to bring up a lagging body part or supplement a standard strength training routine. The closest to decent information I've come to was two studies by "Jeremy Loenneke", a member of this site who appears to no longer be active.

I guess I must need spoonfeeding because despite the papers being rather thorough, I'm still at a loss as to how to structure such a routine since I can't apply much of my knowledge of strength training to this field, which is alien to me.

My physio recommended 1 upper and 1 lower exercise per day, 4 sets to failure with 20% 1MR, 9 days on, 4 days off. A study I read that did similarly amongst American football players used only squat and bench press, but I can't imagine that will do wonders for my upper back and deltoid size, or my pull-up strength etc. But if I do, say;

Day 1 - Squat + Bench
Day 2 - Deadlift + Lat Pull / Inverted Row
Day 3 - Calf Raise + Military Press
And so forth...

Will this reduced frequency in hitting each body part hinder results? What exactly is optimal in occlusion training?

Apologies for the length of the post but I've found frustratingly little about this via Google.

Any recommendations on how I can go about this?

There is evidence that occluded limbs can have a carry over effect to the back and/or chest muscles. i believe that yasuda was the author of the paper. The great thing about occlusion training is it causes next to zero muscle damage and can be used frequently. More research by Abe et al. has had people occlude the same body part twice per day, six days per week for two weeks and observed muscle size increases of 8%. Unfortunately, it is still unclear how to optimally periodize occlusion training (most research uses sets of 30-15-15-15) or if it can totally replace traditional training. However, research by Jake, Ryan and myself revealed that occluding the arms produces the same increases in muscle thickness as traditional training.

as i assume you do not have a kaatsu device. you can wrap your limbs proximally with knee wraps at a 7/10 perceived pressure. you can get your delt in there if you get the knee wraps high enough. hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.