ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Advice: Returning After a Month Off (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95781)

TheProphecy 03-05-2013 11:46 PM

Advice: Returning After a Month Off

February was a difficult month for me as I dealt with illness and injury. Fortunately, I am now at 100% and ready to hit the gym this week. I'm almost sure that I lost strength, and I would like to know where to begin so I can progress to where I left off a month ago.

Just for an example, last month, I was pushing 100 lb dumbbells for incline, decline, flat bench press. If I were to attempt these same exercises this week, I am curious as to what weight to begin with and how much weight to add each week?

Any recommendations anyone has for me? Or should I just go in there with extreme intensity?

Thanks in advance.

ecko31s 03-06-2013 07:42 AM

I would just perform progressively heavier sets to see where my strength is at. I would just stop a predetermined number of reps each set until you reach the heaviest set and go to failure. Also, how many reps where you hitting with the 100lb dumbbells on each angle?
Ex.
Incline dumbbell Press 50x20, 60x15, 70x12, 80x12, 90x12, 100x14 failure
I wouldn't just jump straight to the 100lb dumbbells. Don't worry about strength, because if you did lose any it shouldn't be much and you'll gain it back quickly...

Commander 03-06-2013 12:49 PM

Only thing I would do differently than Ecko, would be that I would hit a light workout (or two) to get your body back into it after a full month off. After that, I would use his method. Otherwise, don't stress it, as Ecko mentioned, the strength will return quickly.

President Wilson 03-18-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecko31s (Post 925902)
I would just perform progressively heavier sets to see where my strength is at. I would just stop a predetermined number of reps each set until you reach the heaviest set and go to failure. Also, how many reps where you hitting with the 100lb dumbbells on each angle?
Ex.
Incline dumbbell Press 50x20, 60x15, 70x12, 80x12, 90x12, 100x14 failure
I wouldn't just jump straight to the 100lb dumbbells. Don't worry about strength, because if you did lose any it shouldn't be much and you'll gain it back quickly...

Agreed, great advice

ruelisla 09-09-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProphecy (Post 925901)
February was a difficult month for me as I dealt with illness and injury. Fortunately, I am now at 100% and ready to hit the gym this week. I'm almost sure that I lost strength, and I would like to know where to begin so I can progress to where I left off a month ago.

Just for an example, last month, I was pushing 100 lb dumbbells for incline, decline, flat bench press. If I were to attempt these same exercises this week, I am curious as to what weight to begin with and how much weight to add each week?

Any recommendations anyone has for me? Or should I just go in there with extreme intensity?

Thanks in advance.

How long is your layoff working out?

If you layoff from workout for at least a month. you should start again to zero. If you lift 100 lbs on bench decrease it from 30 to 50 percent.

Start increasing weight slowly so you will not get injured and it will increase your strength along the way.