ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Depth Nutrition (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   healthy carbs (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95725)

Racing5j 01-12-2013 06:09 PM

healthy carbs

So I have never had the body I wanted. Over the last year I have done p90x 2 rounds, Insanity 1 round and asylum 2 rounds. Now I'm at 6' 215lbs from 246. I have always had a lot of muscle but could never see it. I have made great strides with my dieting and now know I am carb sensitive. I would like to cut to around 10% body fat but I'm struggling with evening meals . With a busy schedule some times dinner is pasta. Now I need to do better an would like advice on some realty good brads or muffins. I would even take recipes or links to good sights.
Every one likes details do here goes. I'm 43 and have never been a bodybuilder but ever one I know who builds says I have the frame and base to look huge. I just need to cut. I have also had back surgery 2x for disk problems not a game stoper. I have lifted on aand of to years and I curious to see what I look like cut.

Ratcat 01-15-2013 08:53 AM

Muffins don't make the list if you are cutting. There are some good reads in the journal tab at the top of the page that help to understand how to cut while lifting. If you can compile a list of how you are eating now then people here can help you tweak it. I make my own pasta and i'll use wholemeal flour. Its good tucker for during the day coz its portable and easy. :)

Racing5j 01-15-2013 12:51 PM

Thank you

My typical day starts with my work out. Followed by 10 grain hot cereal and 1 egg or just 3 whole eggs with cheese @ 7am. At 9am I have a hand full of peanuts, Noon I'll have Tuna with mayo, turkey or eggs & a cup of cauliflower or other fresh vegetable. Around 3pm more nuts or a 10 grain muffin home made honey /whole wheat not the supermarket kind. Dinner chicken breast, broccoli, potato or carrots.
This has been for 2 weeks. Before I was eating crackers, whole wheat bread, pasta even pizza at times. I know it takes discipline but I may not be eating enough.

ecko31s 01-28-2013 11:29 AM

If you're trying to cut fat I would stick with either brown rice, oats,100% whole grain bread and/or baked sweet potatoes. They're full of the good complex carbs you want to eat. Try to limit the total amount of carbs per day and I would consume them around my workout times meaning before and after. Late in the day I would pretty much cut out the carbs because its not like you need them unless you workout late in the day. With the total amount of carbs you need to find out how many grams you are consuming daily then slowly adjust that number down. Your meal frequency looks good, but you may need to adjust it a little. Since you eat 5 times a day and weight 215, I would try to get in around 43grams of protein per meal to equal 215 grams per day totaled. If possible you should try to get some protein and carbs before you workout to give you energy to improve your workout and help with recovery. I would try to invest into some protein powder which would help you get in more protein per day. Before your workout you could consume a protein shake with oats blended in. For breakfast i would cut out the cheese and possibly add a protein shake or eat a few more eggs without the yolk to reach 43 grams of protein. The nuts are a good snack, you could also add some plain yogurt to increase your protein. At noon i would have either tuna or turkey with brown rice or a sweet potato and vegetables. Around 3 pm i would have some sort of meat and vegetables with brown rice or a sweet potato if your energy is dragging. At dinner chicken is a good choice baked and the veggies are good also, just ditch the potato because you don't need any carbs this late in the day if you're trying to cut. Vegetables are usually low in carbs, especially the ones you mentioned. For the oatmeal, brown rice, and sweet potato try to reduce the amount to say 30grams of carbs each time you eat one of the three. Also make sure the yogurt is low in carbs also. I would try that for a few weeks and see how you body responses, then lower the carb amount to 25 grams and so on. From my experience the lower amount of carbs i consume the lower my bodyfat drops, but my energy levels drop also. Of course you would still be exercising. I would try this and adjust the carbs until you have found the right range for you to lower your body fat and still have a good amount of energy. If you're shooting for 10 percent body fat you shouldn't have to drop to low with the carbs. I've been down to 4 percent body fat using the method i mentioned, of course I also do heavy resistance training and cardio also. Don't forget, the lower amount your carbs are the lower your energy levels will or may drop. Hope this helps...

Racing5j 01-29-2013 01:46 AM

I'll take your advice and make the adjustments. I have actually started to notice I'm leaning out in my arms and chest. I think I need to get a good set of measurements to help me track my progress. Using a scale to track progress is no good. I did read some of dieting articals and I think I'm getting a handle on things. Uping my will power and shopping better is the next step.

ecko31s 01-29-2013 07:27 AM

Its good to hear you're making improvements. One small step at a time is the way to go and just be consistent with your diet and switch up your routine every few weeks so your body doesn't grow accustomed to the workout. Measurements are a good way to track your progress. I would go with a good body tape measure and a body fat caliper.

Racing5j 01-29-2013 12:16 PM

I have noticed when I cut my carbs way down I get an ammonia smelling sweat from my workout. I have read about ketosis and there are many different views on it. From the stand point of maintaining my muscle am I looking at a bad sign ? Should I just ignore it or use it as a sign that I'm making progress ?

2 Timothy 4:7 NIV
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith

ecko31s 01-29-2013 01:51 PM

The last time I heard someone mention something like this was like ten years ago, when I was in the military. I remember a guy telling me about his body smelling like pure ammonia during a 25 mile ruck march with full gear on. From what I've read it happens when your on a low carbohydrate diet and your body is forced to break down protein and use it as its primary energy source. Basically ammonia is a waste product that comes from this process and is excreted through your skin. Well muscle is made up of protein and water, and since you said your day begins with your workout I would think that your body is breaking down muscle tissue to use it as a energy source because you don't eat any thing before your workout in addition to already being on a low carb diet.maybe a combination of the two. It makes since with a 25 mile ruck march to because with a full load of gear at that distance your muscles are going to be on fire, believe me, I've done plenty of ruck marches. Like I mentioned previously try to get a meal in before you workout with carbs and protein. Also drinking a intra-workout shake with ammino acids would help muscle tissue from breaking down. I would recommend Xtends which works really well for this. Its a intra-workout ammino acid supplement. And after your workout eat plenty of carbs and protein to replenish your energy and speed up recovery. Also drinking more water is suppose to help with the ammonia smell. At the minimum eat carbs and protein pre-workout and drink more water. If that doesnt work also add the ammino acid during your workout. And if that fails you may have to slightly increase your overall carb intake. Just try one step at a time until it resolves the ammonia smell. Hope this helps...

ecko31s 01-29-2013 01:55 PM

And yes I would definitely take that as a bad sign as far as maintaining muscle. I wouldn't ignore it either because its letting you know you're burning muscle as fuel.

Racing5j 01-29-2013 06:35 PM

Sounds like I'm on the right track. This morning I ate 1/2 banana and took the mega man vita pack. I think I'll try some Orange juice tomorrow. I have been carbing up after workouts and dropping throughout the day. I'll keep posting and looking for input.