ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Critique this 5 x 5 program (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95231)

dannyjerome0 03-23-2012 05:01 PM

Critique this 5 x 5 program

I'm just finishing up a bulking program. I'm going to take 3 full days off to rest, and then start 5 x 5 training. I want to increase strength on my compound lifts, i.e. bench press, squat, dead lift, overhead press, but build muscle in addition to this. In other words, I want to mainly focus on pure strength building, but still gain some lean mass and work on muscle separation. I was thinking something like this:

Monday - Chest, Triceps

Tuesday - Back, Biceps

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Shoulders, Abs

Friday - Legs

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Start cycle over with chest and triceps

Chest/triceps workout:
Bench press: 5 x 5
Incline DB press (decline DB press): 3 sets
Decline machine press (incline machine press): 3 sets
Incline fly superset with flat fly (vice versa): 1 set
Seated triceps DB press: 5 x 5
Weighted parallel bar dips: 4 sets

Back/biceps workout:
Deadlift: 5 x 5
Wide grip pulldowns (normal grip pulldowns): 3 sets
Neutral grip machine row (reverse grip machine row): 3 sets
Preacher curl: 3 sets
DB concentration curl: 1 double drop set
Incline bench hammer curl: 3 sets
Cable 21's: 1 set

Shoulders/abs workout:
Overhead BB press: 5 x 5
Standing DB lateral raises: 2 double drop sets
DB upright rows (cable upright rows): 4 sets
Reverse flys: 3 sets
DB shrugs (smith machine shrugs): 3 sets
Abs cycle: leg raises, static holds, crunches, side planks
Cable crunches: 1 double drop set
Back extension machine: 2 single drop sets

Legs workout:
Squat: 5 x 5
Straight-legged deadlift: 4 sets
Lying machine leg curl: 2 single drop sets
Seated calf raises (standing calf raises): 2 double drop sets
Seated reverse calf raises: 1 double drop set
Weighted cable step apparatus: 1 double drop set

This is just a basic summary of exercises. I will switch up some of the exercises after 4 cycles with those in parentheses. Also, I will heavily incorporate rest-pause and strip set training on my last sets per exercise.

Commander 03-23-2012 05:10 PM

Ever hear of the 80/20 rule?

You get 80% of the results form 20% of what you are donig. I.E. the time you spent doing the 5x5 is the 20% and will give you the majority of your results.

Regarding the other stuff (the 80%), remember, that is only getting you 20% of your results (give or take), I would limit the assistance exercises to 2 (maybe 3) exercises that you really like and you know work well for your body. Then with less exercises, you do more sets for those 2 exercises rather than doing 6 or 7 assistance exercises. Also, to reinforce technique, you could also add in some light/explosive work for a previously worked 5x5, so for example, on back/bicep day, you could do:

Back/biceps workout:
Wide grip pulldowns (normal grip pulldowns): 6 sets - an increase in sets
Neutral grip machine row (reverse grip machine row): 6 sets - an increase in sets

Bench Press: 5 x 3 reps at 75% of the weight you used on Monday (so if you did 200 for 5 sets of 5, than on Tuesday you would do 5 sets of 3 at 150, paused on the chest and EXPLOSIVE)

If you must, you could easily throw in a few sets of curls between set of bench press.

I personally think this would work much better.

dannyjerome0 03-23-2012 07:46 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I may need to cut down on the assistance exercises. However, I do want this program to be a mass builder, not exclusively just for compound lift strength. Will my biceps and triceps still benefit from this routine if I cut out curls, dips, etc? Maybe I could do something like this for back/biceps:

Pulldowns: 5 sets
Rows: 5 sets
Preacher curls (switch to barbell curls after a few weeks): 4 sets
Bench press: 5 x 3

Commander 03-23-2012 10:09 PM

What you wrote looks good, if you re-read my post I say to throw in some curls between set of bench press to save time. You can throw in triceps in a similar fashion during explosive squats on bench day.

Good luck!

bigironcross 03-24-2012 01:51 PM

Man, to be young again, and be able to do this much volume. ;)

I agree with Commander's comments.

If you focus on the 20%, you'll receive bigger benefits for the time spent.

dannyjerome0 03-26-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigironcross (Post 922787)
Man, to be young again, and be able to do this much volume. ;)

I agree with Commander's comments.

If you focus on the 20%, you'll receive bigger benefits for the time spent.

Believe me, I couldn't do this volume a couple months ago. After a long layoff, I was doing maybe 12 - 15 sets max per workout. I worked my way up pretty quickly, though. Regardless, I'll definitely heed your advice guys, thanks.

joneser3eb 03-26-2012 11:37 PM

You are gonna benefit way more if you , as Commander already said, if you limit your assistance exercises a lot more. If you stick to the main compound exercises you will still see amazing results. the only extra exercises i have brought in are curls , overhead press, and pull ups. I do those each on separate days.

For example

Monday i do my 5x5 workout consisting of

Squats 5x5

Bench 5x5

Dead 5x5

curls 3x8

Wednesday

same 5x5 workout as monday

3x10 overhead press

Friday. same 5x5 as monday and wed.

10x6 pullups.

I have been doing 5x5 for 18 months. trust me overdoing the assist. exercises will hinder your strength gains. I know its hard to not add in other exercises but trust me you dont need them. I put over 200 pounds on my squat. 200 pounds on my deadlift and 150 pounds on my benchpress and all my other lifts have increased because of this.
the biggest mistake people make in doing the 5x5 is adding in to much , In doing so you dont get the benefits of the program.

bigironcross 03-29-2012 04:33 PM

joneser3eb,

Please tell me a little more about your 5X5 program.

Do you pyramid the weights on the 5X5 sets or use the same weight for each set?

Do you warm up before your 5X5 sets? If so, what do you do?

Do you ocassionally need to lower your weights (cycle)?

Thanks, Troy

joneser3eb 03-31-2012 12:38 PM

Here are the basics of my weekly routine

Please tell me a little more about your 5X5 program.I have heavy days for each exercise.
Mondays are heavy (100%) days for squat.
90% (5 rep max) of bench press
80% (5 rep max) of deadlift.

Wednesday
100% bench
90% deads
80% squat

Friday
100% Deads
90% Squat
80%bench

so you see i put the exercises in rotation and each day has a heavy day

Do you pyramid the weights on the 5X5 sets or use the same weight for each set?

Yes i Pyramid the weights. for example for heavy day squat. I will start at 135 and honestly prob do 10 reps to get stretched out and warmed up. then pyramid up. so here is my last workout set on squat as an example.

135x10
225x5 35%
300x5 70%
350x5 80%
395x5 90%
440x5 100%

Do you warm up before your 5X5 sets? If so, what do you do?

As i mentioned i usually use 135 as my warmup on all my exercises and do 10-12 reps as my actual warmup set and then just pyramid up to my heavy set. i feel like for me this is sufficient warm up.

Do you ocassionally need to lower your weights (cycle)?

Yes i do de-load or cycle the weight as needed. each week my goal is to put 5 pounds more on the bar. so if i do 440 x 5 on squat and i reach that goal then next week i will go for 445. however if i fail before i get that 5th rep give myself two more attempts or two more weeks at that weight. if i never reach that 5th rep with that particular weight they i de-load or cycle the weight down by 20% and work back up. so say i am using 440 and i fail 3 weeks in a row. I would drop the weight to approx. 360 as my 100% the following week and progressively put on 5 pounds per week and work my way back up to try and surpass that previous 5 rep max of 440. same applies to all three exercises.

as for my assistance exercises. those have been added in as i felt they were needed to strengthen muscles that were lacking and i felt would help in getting me past plateaus i was hitting in my main exercises.

thats pretty much the basics to it I have had great success with 5x5. i am hoping to to reach the 500 lbs pound mark on squat by the end of this year at the body weight of 190. the higher the weight on the bar the slower the process is but i really do enjoy it more than any program i have ever done.

Thanks, Troy[/quote]

zacharyspop 04-05-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneser3eb (Post 922873)

thats pretty much the basics to it I have had great success with 5x5. i am hoping to to reach the 500 lbs pound mark on squat by the end of this year at the body weight of 190. the higher the weight on the bar the slower the process is but i really do enjoy it more than any program i have ever done.

Thanks, Troy

This is exactly what I'm doing too. I started two months ago and have added 40 pounds to bench, 55 pounds to Deadlift and squat.

5x5's compound exercises are the shiznit.