ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Effectiveness of barbell upright rows? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95228)

dannyjerome0 03-22-2012 06:38 PM

Effectiveness of barbell upright rows?

For whatever reason, I do not feel like barbell upright rows are very effective. I have had several people judge me as I do them, all of them saying I execute with perfect form. I know this exercise is supposed to be a superior shoulder exercise, but I just don't get sore or feel a pump when I do them, even after 6 sets to failure with drop sets. Anyone have a similar problem, or able to recommend an alternate exercise?

Commander 03-22-2012 06:54 PM

If an exercise doesn't work for you, ditch it.

Out of curiousity, why do you think they are superior?

Get strong in the Overhead Press and your shoulders will thank you.

dannyjerome0 03-22-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander (Post 922764)
If an exercise doesn't work for you, ditch it.

Out of curiousity, why do you think they are superior?

Get strong in the Overhead Press and your shoulders will thank you.

I had just read over and over again by various bodybuilding sources that this exercise is very effective, and it seems like every shoulder training program I come across implements the upright row primarily. Also, I had been doing Jacob Wilson's 24 workout mass blitz, which calls for a high volume of this exercise. Also, what type of grip would you say is most effective for upright rows in terms of deltoid growth?

Ratcat 03-22-2012 09:41 PM

Try doing them with dumbbells instead of the bar. :)

Commander 03-23-2012 11:43 AM

If you insist on doing them, try what Ratcat mentioned, dumbbells. Another good alternative would be on a cable machine with a rope attachment since this allows a very natural range of motion. Or you can do an upright row with bands and the tension will increase as you pull making it pretty effective as well. I personally would ditch the barbell version.

dannyjerome0 03-23-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander (Post 922772)
If you insist on doing them, try what Ratcat mentioned, dumbbells. Another good alternative would be on a cable machine with a rope attachment since this allows a very natural range of motion. Or you can do an upright row with bands and the tension will increase as you pull making it pretty effective as well. I personally would ditch the barbell version.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Commander 03-23-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyjerome0 (Post 922775)
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

No problem, follow up in a few weeks and post how it goes.

Bulk101 03-25-2012 07:07 AM

Try close grip with ez bar. B carefull of rotar cuff tho I did these and behind the neck presses for years and have had probs with rotar cuff from them. But close grip on ez bar will scorch them trust me. I liked to go up a bit higher it hit my traps at same time and killed two birds with the one stone

superbilt 03-30-2012 02:18 PM

Power Cleans, Shrugs and high pulls are better because you can use more weight. I still use bb upright rows from time to time though.