ABCbodybuilding (
-   Members' Discussion: (
-   -   School for Kinesiology? (

Zee-German 11-21-2011 03:18 AM

School for Kinesiology?
Background: 23 years old, currently serving in the United States Marine Corps, with 11 months left.

Im dead set on studying kinesiology in school. Now the question is, which ones do I apply to? I want a school with an awesome program, as well as an amazing athletics department, so I could possible intern on a team and/or get real hands on experience.

I will get my Doctorate in Physical Therapy from USC down the road, but right now, ive been researching schools. Heres my list:

USC - Reach
Ohio State
Cal State
UC Berkeley

I am a California resident, but I dont mind going out of state for school. Personally, id rather stay in California, but whatever school has the best programs, I want.

Any thoughts?

Jinx5000 11-24-2011 03:17 AM

I studied Kines at Westmont College in Santa Barbara and loved it. It's probably the best program on campus and the small intimate environment provides a stimulating experience and great hands-on work and you really get to know your classmate and professors really well. I know Concordia University in Irvine also has a great Kines dept. I have heard that SDSU, CSULB, and of course USC have great kinds programs as well and a larger campus

Thank you for your service and good luck with your making your decision!

Werehusky 11-24-2011 05:01 AM

I would try staying in state so you dont have to pay out of state tuition(unless you are going to a private school) GI bill will only cover so much, so look for Yellow Ribbon schools, unless you're getting outside help then you dont have to worry about it. For exmaple, I just got out and now am going to go to TCU or SMU, preferably TCU; GI bill covers 17,600 and TCU/SMU covers the rest even if tuition rises so its a great program.

I would take the SAT or ACT again so then you dont have to do the BS work arounds to get into schools, a good score helps a lot! I would also recommend focusing on setting yourself up for getting into a physcial Therapy program. If it's anything like pre-med you dont have time for anything else because you're either studying(do not underestimate majors biology/chemistry they are very hard after being out of school so long and being at war), being mentored by doctors, or volunteering at clinics.

Venom 01-29-2012 02:36 AM

Kind of depends on what you are looking for. I personally like a smaller school for the undergrad degree. They tend to pay closer attention to teaching, and its pretty close nit. I did my bachelors and masters at cal state university east bay and loved it - jake did too.

If after that you want to go to a D1 research institute, really there are many great ones. You can do a search online for the top ranked ones according to numerous factors. But my recommendation is to focus on the professor you would be studying with. For instance, if you like the research done by a professor at a university, than target that person and ask if you can come work in their lab. Because ultimately, Grad research is mostly about working you someones lab and getting projects done. For instance, I contacted Dr. Donald Layman about working in his lab, because I loved his research. Turned out to be a great fit. Now I am doing a post doc with Tracy Anthony, another scientists which I have collaborated with for several years and have much respect for.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know what you decide!

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.