ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplement Reviews (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Whey Protein Isolates (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94771)

Helmholtz 07-11-2011 04:28 AM

Whey Protein Isolates

I've been using Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein for the past several months and I am pretty satisfied with it but have seen some things about whey protein isolates. I decided to try some and just ordered some About Time Isowhey. Is there any extra benefit to including Isowhey along with my normal whey protein consumption? And if so when is the best time to take it?

kaaijer 10-19-2011 08:36 PM

Stacking isolate with standard whey seems like overkill to me. Just stick with either one of them. Isolate is a great source of protein btw, I use it too. But as I said, about any whey protein should do.

Oh and best time to consume it? Same as other whey sources, nothing special here.

Link 10-20-2011 10:05 PM

How is it overkill? If hes lets say having 2 scoops of concentrate and now hes having 1 scoop concentrate and 1 scoop isolate, its the same thing but better. I personally use only isolate. My diet does not allow for the extra carbs in concentrates, even though there are some with low carb, I know whats in my iso.

The best time to take it is anytime really. Although real food is better then whey, so only use it if your strapped and I wouldnt suggest replacing anymore than 2 meals out of 6 throughout the day, dont be lazy cook your food the night before.

kaaijer 10-25-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link (Post 920646)
How is it overkill? If hes lets say having 2 scoops of concentrate and now hes having 1 scoop concentrate and 1 scoop isolate, its the same thing but better. I personally use only isolate. My diet does not allow for the extra carbs in concentrates, even though there are some with low carb, I know whats in my iso.

And adding another scoop of whey hydrolysate is perhaps even better. My point is: it doesn't make a big difference at all, really. Yeah, if you got the bucks, go for the best of the best and top your whey with a fresh hand picked cherry if you like :)

Like I said, any decent whey shake should do the trick. And like Link said: natural diet is more important.

NJI 11-05-2011 08:38 PM

The only difference is the amount of carbs/serving. Concentrates have ~3 grams of carbs/serving typically. Isolates simply have less than 1 gram. If you're buying a concentrate that has more than that the company added stuff to it and it's not pure whey.

Isoaltes are not worth the extra expense in my opinion. But then again I use BCAA's more than anything. :)

ecko31s 11-25-2011 06:35 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about stacking classic whey with a Isowhey. The classic whey contains whey concentrates, isolates and hydrolyzed whey. What ever ingredient is listed first that product contains the most of. So the other ingredients listed after most likely are very small amounts of. They put just enough so they can be listed as ingredients. Anyway, Whey isolates are higher quality grade protein than Whey concentrates. Whey isolates typically cost more than whey concentrates for this reason. I've done research on the different types of whey and I've done trial and error test on them myself. My gains have been far better with Whey isolates than with Whey concentrates. Optimum Nutrition has the 100% Whey Gold Standard which is high quality product with a reasonable price. If you wanted to stack two different proteins, I would stack Whey isolates with Casein Protein. But, typically you want to take Whey isolates around your workout time, first thing in the morning and Casein Portein before bed. I've made the best gains by taking Whey isolates maybe a 1.5hrs before my workout, 1 hr after my workout, first thing when I wake up, and Casein Protein before bed.

ecko31s 11-25-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJI (Post 920885)
The only difference is the amount of carbs/serving. Concentrates have ~3 grams of carbs/serving typically. Isolates simply have less than 1 gram. If you're buying a concentrate that has more than that the company added stuff to it and it's not pure whey.

Isoaltes are not worth the extra expense in my opinion. But then again I use BCAA's more than anything. :)

I too use BCAA's. I found them to be very effective if you consume them during workouts.