ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members' Discussion: (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Workoutmachine, You're in the Well (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93421)

will-work4andro 02-17-2010 11:56 PM

Workoutmachine, You're in the Well

my first question to you...we all know that you are a PhD student at FSU and an animal in the gym. What's the hardest thing about being a competitive strength athlete and a doctoral student? and how do you overcome these obstacles?

WorkoutMchne 02-18-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will-work4andro (Post 903590)
my first question to you...we all know that you are a PhD student at FSU and an animal in the gym. What's the hardest thing about being a competitive strength athlete and a doctoral student? and how do you overcome these obstacles?

First, thank you for the compliments.

The hardest thing about being a doctoral student is an easy question to answer. This is having to deal with the type of people in academia. A lot of people are great, but for most academia is its own little world and many of them have not had an experience in an applied realm. Because of this many professors, I feel, look down upon my practical experience. Also, the culture in academia is such that some individuals do not wish everybody well. These are the people who do not work hard. These people don't understand that competition is about out working and outperforming someone else and not wishing someone else to do poorly so they can better themselves. This is an extremely poor mentality and unfortunately because I like to work hard certain people take this as an insult rather than an opportunity to work harder themselves.

As far as being a strength athlete it's realizing that wanting to be good isn't enough. It comes down to how hard to you want to work for it? And how much do you hate to lose? I mean everybody wants to win, but winners hate to lose. This is what makes you successful. You can never be satisfied where your at, if you are then you will stop getting better. But I guess the hardest part aside from the mental aspect (which is what makes you great) is simply figuring out what works and what doesn't. If we all knew what worked, we would all deadlift 900 pounds.

Thanks for the invitation to the well Andro.

Venom 02-18-2010 03:13 AM

What's your experience been like working with my bro (gym and lab)?

WorkoutMchne 02-19-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 903603)
What's your experience been like working with my bro (gym and lab)?

In a word, as Jake would put it, "Awesome." What I've learned from your brother in both scenarios has been invaluable.

In the lab Jake was already a 2 year veteran by the time I arrived in the Fall of '08. Florida St. is a good place and our major professor is awesome, but most of my opportunities have come from Jake. He set me up with my first study and let me do my thing with it and now I'm submitting it as a first author. When I made the visit to FSU Jake sold me on the place because he was a like minded individual and there aren't too many out there. I owe a lot to your brother as to where I am academically: whether it be research, class, dealing with ridiculous professors. Also, when I limp into the lab Jake is the only one who understands why and doesn't ask what is wrong with me. You name it Jake has helped me. The only thing that you can't ask Jake to do is label microtubes for blood during a muscle damage study, that doesn't work out to well sometimes.

In the gym we fed off each other a lot. Jake and I trained together in my garage 5-6 days a week (sometimes twice a day) from March '09 to October '09. He helped me lay out the formula for the program I've developed which has taken my strength to a new level. I taught him how to lift weights, before he just picked heavy stuff up, now he picks up heavier stuff and he does it correctly. Then he tried to get me to bodybuild and I said no and I tried to get him to powerlift full-time and he said no (I haven't given up though). We're good at different things in the gym so the time that we trained together was one of the most important times in my career so far and an amazing learning experience.

Venom 02-19-2010 12:56 AM

Sounds like my relationship with Layne in lab! Nothing like doing research with a fellow meat head!

bigbear6708 02-19-2010 02:45 AM

how many marathons have you done? best time? what do you miss most about running? will you ever incorportate it again..or slightly into a routine???

bigironcross 02-19-2010 01:15 PM

Where did you move to FSU (Tallahassee, Florida) from?

Do you like the weather?

My daughter started graduate school Fall 2009 at FSU. She said the weather is too rainy. However, she also is wearing shorts and flip flops while the local have their scarfs and winter clothes on. ;) I guess a little rain may be better than shoveling many feet of snow in Ohio. ;)

tmkeehn 02-19-2010 02:38 PM

What started it all? What was it that got you motivated?

ElitePL242 02-19-2010 04:17 PM

will you ever grow your hair out again?

would you rather pull a truck for a mile every day? or listen to boy bands while working out?

Commander 02-19-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne (Post 903677)
The only thing that you can't ask Jake to do is label microtubes for blood during a muscle damage study, that doesn't work out to well sometimes.

My first question is:
Can you elaborate on the above? Seems like it could be a funny story.

Other passions outside of powerlifting and marathon running?