ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Psychology of Bodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why Do You Work Out? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92426)

getting_big 07-27-2009 08:51 AM

Why Do You Work Out?

I've been very interested in the psychology of body building for quite some time, but I don't have the qualifications and stuff. I just find it very interesting and even just observing my own behavior in terms of motivation ec. has been a learning experience.

There was a time when I could barely keep myself out of the gym for more than a day. it became sort of an addiction and it was like I was addicted to "that feeling" you get after a good workout.

Then a time came when a lot of stuff happened in my life and finding the motivation to go to the gym was a real challenge.

I just could not really find a good balance. At the moment I seem to be in a good place in terms of motivation and I can pretty much motivate myself at will.

I think the main "driving force" has been finding a real compelling goal. The times when it was hard to keep and get myself motivated has just been me fluffing around in the gym without any clear goals.

klosey 07-29-2009 02:00 PM

self improvement

will-work4andro 07-29-2009 04:06 PM

so if i meet that guy in a dark alley...he'll think twice

klosey 07-29-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will-work4andro (Post 892093)

lmao man thats cool although if you turned up shredded he wouldnt bother as he'll think your on something

Shoni 08-02-2009 03:47 PM

For myself i think; it's many things indeed.

For Manhood, greater self - confidence, more meaning to myself, the concept of fulfilling and forever being in an aspirational frame of mind, not Ambitious you understand, but pure aspiration: An ongoing charm of will and determination to become whatever it is, that your most deepest concern desires!
And for my part, i feel the condition at which these attributes become motives are all but constantly changing.
Yet when the oldest and most significant motives once more are remembered;

'Stronger becomes the aspiration toward the achievement of greater dexterity about all things.' :)

I think that's my motivation; or perhaps i was writing as i was thinking.

Still, thanks for reading and Godbless.

Ensign;

Christian

maverickBU 08-03-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

take a self defense class. Chances are the guy in the alley has a weapon and doesn't care what you look like.

codigo230 08-05-2009 01:56 PM

I work out to stay fit and like will-work4andro to be ready for the guy in the dark alley, you never know ...

Venom 08-05-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

hahahaha!!!

Like I have told others who ask me, this question is like asking a kid why do you go to the playground. Because it is AWESOME!

Gregsimo 08-05-2009 11:49 PM

i workout because ive always been the ectomorph, skinny guy who wants to be big but never could. then i realised i could be whatever i wanted to be and my motivation is the fact that no matter how hard i train and how much i gain, i know that i can always keep going and improve more.
Also for me its become part of my everyday life, so it is as much routine as something that i choose to do, even on my rest days i miss going to the gym.

misterjaydubyoo 08-18-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

And chances are I have a concealed .45 on me as well! Its sad that it has come to that tho...str8 up fights don't seem to happen anymore.

But back to the topic:

I achieve such gratification to build upon what I have and to consistently make it better. Its nice to compare myself to older photos, and have the pleasure of saying "I did that." I also think it portrays character very efficiently. Most of the time, when you see someone with a nice physique, you know it took will, determination, dedication, and sacrifices for them to get there. You know it not only took hours in the gym, but hours in the kitchen, hours crunching numbers, and even hours skimming message boards to achieve what they built. I think more and more today, people realize that physiques simply are not made from just "pumping iron." I have gained the respect of many individuals because they know what I have done to achieve my physique, and that they will never put forth the effort to do so. People respect that I have that much dedication and motivation to set goals and not only achieve them, but exceed them.