ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Article Review and Discussion (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Whey Hydrolysates and Glycogen (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92353)

President Wilson 07-15-2009 01:45 AM

Whey Hydrolysates and Glycogen

1 Attachment(s)
There was a really cool article that just came out. For some background

As we know protein appears to enhance glycogen storage after exercise, and it does so via two mechanisms.

1. Protein is insulinotropic meaning it stimulates insulin which activates PI3K and AKT and PKC which increase glycogen syntehsis and glucose transport
2. BCAAs appear to activate protein kinase C( PKC) independent of inslulin and this enhances glucose transport.

Thus if you are going maximize your post workout meal you need to maximize the BCAA content of the protein and the insulinotropic effect. The latter is effected by the digestibility of the protein and the former by the quality of the protein. The degree of digestability is effected by the solubility of the protein and the state that the protein is hydrolysized or pre digested into peptides.

The study on attatchment compared whey (water soluble) to whey hydrolysates, to casein hydrolysates(water insoluble) to bCAAs. Essentially the whey hydrolysates activated AKT, PKC, and increase glycogen storage more than all others when combined with glucose, and whey and BCAAs were tied for second. Take home message, whey hydrolysates is the way to go!

klosey 07-15-2009 10:37 AM

so in essense does this make taking in say 20g BCAA post workout more optimal than 40-50g whey?

Ratcat 07-15-2009 10:49 AM

Good stuff. Thankyou. :)

Venom 07-20-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klosey (Post 891289)
so in essense does this make taking in say 20g BCAA post workout more optimal than 40-50g whey?

how did u come to this conclusion, bro?

Good research, jake!

klosey 07-20-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 891530)
how did u come to this conclusion, bro?

Good research, jake!

mainly due to bcaa already being in a more usable state by the body then whey i'll read it through again as i may of mis read

Venom 07-20-2009 03:28 PM

Nah, according to that study Whey hydrosylates were best; then whole whey proteins, then BCAAs. Plus, I think it is risky to just have BCAAs post workout - you risk depletion of other essential aminos at this point.

Undone 07-20-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 891536)
Nah, according to that study Whey hydrosylates were best; then whole whey proteins, then BCAAs. Plus, I think it is risky to just have BCAAs post workout - you risk depletion of other essential aminos at this point.

For those of us who slept through chemistry class, please translate into layman's terms. I got it that whey hydosylates were best and the study stated "significantly" better. Can we then say it is 15.556% better than whey protein [(5.01 - 4.23)/5.01] = 15.556? Likewise, 21.7% better than bcaa, or is that an incorrect interpretation?

What I am trying to ascertain is how significant is the difference so we can weigh that with other real life factors such as cost, convenience, goals, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Venom 07-20-2009 05:45 PM

When experiments say a value is "significantly" greater it is a statistical term that means that there is only a 5% chance that these results were due to errors, rather than the intervention actually causing real differences. It says absolutely nothing about the magnitude that it was greater. For that, take a look at the tables and just do the stats from that. Then tell us...it'll be a good learning exercise. ;)

Undone 07-20-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 891545)
When experiments say a value is "significantly" greater it is a statistical term that means that there is only a 5% chance that these results were due to errors, rather than the intervention actually causing real differences. It says absolutely nothing about the magnitude that it was greater. For that, take a look at the tables and just do the stats from that. Then tell us...it'll be a good learning exercise. ;)

Whey hydrosylte is 18.4% more effective (as measured by glycogen levels) as whey protein and 83.5% more effective than caesin. Right???

Venom 07-20-2009 06:58 PM

Looks right man!