ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Article Review and Discussion (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Muscular Guys Have Been Weeded Out By Evolution (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92109)

rootb33r 06-03-2009 03:50 PM

Muscular Guys Have Been Weeded Out By Evolution

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ce-to-pay.html

The article basically says, in part, that because an increase in testosterone lowers the immune system, survival of the fittest has killed off more muscular guys than skinny guys.

"Testosterone, a hormone that promotes secondary muscle growth, suppresses the immune system of all animals, including people... but the downside of all that brawn is a poor immune system and an increased appetite, a new study finds. Such evolutionary costs could explain why males of our species do not all look like He-Man"

Makes sense I guess!

Venom 06-03-2009 04:23 PM

The article also says they have more sexual partners, which should equal greater reproduction. So it contradicts itself.

rootb33r 06-03-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 888165)
The article also says they have more sexual partners, which should equal greater reproduction. So it contradicts itself.

Protection!

Venom 06-03-2009 04:58 PM

If we are going to stereotype I'd say meat headz would be more careless in that regards than geeks. ;)

klosey 06-04-2009 07:29 AM

sadly the study is arse about face, the reason we havent all evolved looking like he man is because huge muscle is not needed functionally, rhino's, bulls etc need huge amounts of muscle, but humans through evolution started using tools etc to make life easier. if right now we still had to hunt by running after animals and taking them down by hand then we prob would all be musclular

icehawk 06-04-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klosey (Post 888225)
sadly the study is arse about face, the reason we havent all evolved looking like he man is because huge muscle is not needed functionally, rhino's, bulls etc need huge amounts of muscle, but humans through evolution started using tools etc to make life easier. if right now we still had to hunt by running after animals and taking them down by hand then we prob would all be musclular

Not doubt. If you look at artistic depictions of Neanderthals, they're absolutely jacked! Most people's work is mainly sedentary now, so there's no point in us being built from an evolutionary standpoint. It's actually worse because we require more food than our string bean counterparts. That's why larger species of the same animal have died out while the smaller ones are still around.

rootb33r 06-04-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehawk (Post 888253)
Not doubt. If you look at artistic depictions of Neanderthals, they're absolutely jacked! Most people's work is mainly sedentary now, so there's no point in us being built from an evolutionary standpoint. It's actually worse because we require more food than our string bean counterparts. That's why larger species of the same animal have died out while the smaller ones are still around.

But their life expectancy was like 25-30 years :) I know it's because of a lot of other reasons lol.

DaveLin 06-05-2009 12:00 AM

kinda makes sense why you have some many africans it seems genetically pre-disposed to incredible muscle and low fat.

in colder regions, sure you can be muscular, but let's see you make it through winter without padding. thus the strongman is born, all of whom are from northern cold areas.

rogjodoin 06-05-2009 01:29 AM

Think about bible times when the food was pure and free from chemicals and preservitives, and the fact that transportation was all done by foot and work was all done by manual labor. I recently heard that to get the same amount of vitamin A from a peach of the 1950's today, you will have to consume 53 peaches. Sounds far fetched, but possible. Our food is deteriorating!

GonnaGetBig 06-09-2009 07:32 PM

I tend to think people have just gotten lazier and more of them tend to sit at a computer than they have in the past. People don't have to work hard like they did many years ago thanks to technology. I mean heck a lot of those geeks sitting at a PC 24/7 might be huge if they had to bust butt doing physical work.

Honestly Scientist like to credit evolution for EVERYTHING. I just don't buy into it.

And really if it were a survival of the fittest thing wouldn’t strength play a huge advantage?