ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   High carb low fat = high fat production (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91956)

Venom 05-16-2009 02:15 AM

High carb low fat = high fat production

My colleague was presenting her research to me. And one thing she found was that high carb (60%) low fat and protein (15% each) diets resulted in the highest fatty acid synthase expression in the liver. Obviously this enzyme works to synthesize fats. This includes being higher than if you upped your fats to 30%.

Basically, indicates to me that if you completely cut out fat from your diet, your body just responds by producing it by itself to fulfill requirements. I don't know about you, but I'd rather just get my requirements from my diet!

Really cool! Unpublished data, but thought I would share, hear some thoughts.

President Wilson 05-16-2009 11:25 PM

Gabe,

and as you have pointed out before we also see declines in testosterone. One of the things you have brought up in the past is the use of MCT oils to up your fat, simply because they have a much greater chance of being oxidized etc. Im just starting to up my fat based on this study you told me about and am really interested to see the results

Venom 05-16-2009 11:28 PM

One thing I am concerned about is that I have yet to see a study on how MCT oils effect on testosterone. Other saturated fats clearly increase them; does the same hold true for MCT oils? Not sure...I hope so, because they rock!

President Wilson 05-17-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 886259)
One thing I am concerned about is that I have yet to see a study on how MCT oils effect on testosterone. Other saturated fats clearly increase them; does the same hold true for MCT oils? Not sure...I hope so, because they rock!

It would be such an easy study to conduct to. Maybe I can convince one of our master's students to pursue it for their thesis! :-p

tyciol 03-06-2011 08:59 PM

I think I remember the difference is that we make saturated fat out of our carbohydrates, whereas our dietary fat could be unsaturated, even poly or EFA like O3.

Even unsaturated in general (like olive oil, mono), it makes me wonder, could this be more mobile? Saturated fat is solid at lower temperatures, could this make for 'hard' fat, maybe fat that doesn't metabolize as easily?

Also I think because our cells require membrane stability, they utilize cholesterol when the membranes are made out of unsaturated acids so it could help lower cholesterol temporarily, though I don't think it'd have long-term effects in that regard.

Venom 03-07-2011 03:12 PM

Yes, that is correct, tyciol. You are better off having fats in your tissue from healthier sources from the diet, than the ones your body makes. Typical saturated fats tend to decrease membrane fluidity, thereby, decreasing nutrient transport and insulin sensitivity. The only exception is the MCT oils, which are saturated, but actually increase fat metabolism and insulin sensitivity.