ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members' Discussion: (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   MaverickBU, You're In The Well (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91443)

klosey 03-24-2009 08:34 AM

MaverickBU, You're In The Well

First Questions are

Why do you train?

How Long have you trained?

What are Your aims?

ryancostill 03-24-2009 09:14 AM

MaverickBU, Your In The Well

Quote:

Originally Posted by klosey (Post 879709)
First Questions are

Why do you train?

What are Your aims?

Should we start a new thread... or ust continue with this one?

Here are a couple of my questions:

What is the most underrated supplement, in your opinion?

What is the most underrated exercise, in your opinion?

niggles 03-24-2009 09:41 AM

what is your biggest accomplishment, and your lowest moment?

maverickBU 03-24-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

First Questions are

Why do you train?

My personality and mindset is weird. I literally am involved in critical thinking all day long. If I am not actively doing something, I am thinking about my next big project, my aspirations of starting a business, a computer program, anything. I cannot turn my brain off. EXCEPT when I'm engrossed in a workout.

Also there's the vanity. I like looking good. Ironic, given that I have very little desire for other superficial things. Case in point, I make a very good salary for my age and location, yet I drive a dented 1997 camry.

Quote:

Off and on in high school and consistently since November of 2004. ****, has it been that long.

Quote:

What are Your aims?

Add a little muscle, get a little leaner, get a little stronger, etc... but as soon as I get that "little" bit, I usually want a little bit more. The real trick is achieving these goals without sacrificing anything in my personal life or aggrivating my back. I've finally figured out the former and am getting better at the latter.
[/quote]

in red......

maverickBU 03-24-2009 12:59 PM

Two tough ones for me, cause I don't use supplements, and I don't use much in the way of exercises other than the basics. I'll take a crack at it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryancostill (Post 879712)
What is the most underrated supplement, in your opinion?

A really good multivitamin. You here guys on boards asking 6 million questions about what whey, NO, glutamine, creatine, PH, etc... they should get. rarely does anyone ask, or care, what multivitamin they are taking. They take those crappy grocery store brands cause they are available and cheap. Guys like us putting their bodies through insane amounts of stress need daily need to be loaded to the gills with vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Get a good one like the Beverly International Superpak that are engineered with athletes, not couch potatoes, in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryancostill (Post 879712)
What is the most underrated exercise, in your opinion?

I'm torn between to type sof lifting that resolved issues for me. Thick/soft bar lifting or a PROPERLY executed powerlifting bench press. The former resolved all my grip related issues in my pulling exercises. I'm actually repping around 400 now with just chalk on deads. The latter has resolved any shoulder issues I used to have from benching, eventhough I bench press more weight now. The whole "lower back arch, shoulder blades together, elbows in, bar over the lower chest" thing has made me never hear that clicking in my left shoulder ever again.

I guess you could say I think the most underrated exercises are the ones that add longevity and safety to my natural lifting.

Commander 03-24-2009 01:08 PM

Stolen from Andro, reprinted at Maverick's own advice from the last thead:

If you could form Team Maverick...what would it look like?

your workout partner?
Your nutritionist?
Your trainer?
Gym?
Sponsor?

maverickBU 03-24-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niggles (Post 879715)
what is your biggest accomplishment, and your lowest moment?

I'm gonna keep this one gym related, the second question is a little too personal.

My biggest gym accomplishment was cleaning and pressing a 125lb. partially water filled keg with a parallel grip. This took me a long time, because there's a lot of technique to it. Just figuring out how to get the weight to sit on my chest for the clean took some time. I had been finsihing the press with a mixed grip (one hand higher than the other) for a while, but this is much easier because it allows the water on the inside to settle into the lower corner. Here's a pic of the lift I'm talking about finished with a mixed grip:

http://img1.putfile.com/main/1/1422175959.jpg

Now in a parallel grip press, my hands are parallel, meaning both are on the bottom of the keg. This requires a ton of grip strength to keep the keg steady, and even more shoulder and core stability to keep it steady while the water inside sloshes around. You have to do a relatively slow grinding press to keep it under control. Don't have a pic of it, but needless to say, I was very excited when I nailed finally.

My lowest moment, in retrospect, was probably 8 months after I started working out consistently. That's when I wasn't too smart, moved up weight too fast on SLDLs while sacrificing form, and started the injury that would worsen to this very day. It's also the injury that made me give up MMA, which killed me. That's the day my bulge in one of my cervical discs started. I now have to battle that on a day to day basis. Aggrivating that could lead to anything from mild uncomfortableness all the way to me being on my back for a couple days loaded with painkillers. So I have a daily reminder for the rest of my life to be smart in the gym.

maverickBU 03-24-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander (Post 879732)
Stolen from Andro, reprinted at Maverick's own advice from the last thead:

If you could form Team Maverick...what would it look like?

your workout partner?
Your nutritionist?
Your trainer?
Gym?
Sponsor?

Partner - Brooks Kubik, author of "Dinosaur Training". His whole thing is that lifters today try to find the easy way out, trying to find supplements and fancy workout programs to substitute in for grueling hard work under progressively heavier weights. Plus he has a whole chapter entitled "Death Sets", sounds like he could really keep me on point.

Nutritionist - John Berardi. I don't do much research in the way of nutrition these days, because too many people try to make it seem like a science when there are too many variables to consider. Berardi's advice and article, though, just make sense. He combines science and common sense and ends up with my favorite measurement of success... results. He also looks the part too, which for me is a big factor.

Trainer - Wesley Silveria, AKA "iron addict". Much like Berardi, his stuff just makes sense and he has 100's if not over 1000 satisfied customers. He's got a very no frills, no bull**** approach to training and has the experience and knowhow to make decisions about your best course of action in terms of training and diet.

Gym - Either my basement, Dorian Yates style, or the Exercise Warehouse in Pittsburgh. Been there since the 60's, it's nothing but brick, iron, free weights, machines, men, and one little treadmill tucked in the corner. The perfect place for focus.

Sponsor - Jack Daniel's... I'm crossing my fingers they make a sports drink ;)

DLR 03-24-2009 02:08 PM

What States have you been to, and what states would you like to visit?

Same question for countries

maverickBU 03-24-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLR (Post 879742)
What States have you been to, and what states would you like to visit?

Same question for countries

Hmmm, I live in Pennsylvania and I've been to NJ, NY, WV, VA, DC, GA, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, IL, KY, MD, NE, NC, OH, and SC. So a few :) As far as other states I want to see, I can only really think of one right now. I want to go to Utah with my wife to the "Best Friends Animal Society". This is where animals that have little to no chance of living in a home go. Everything things from cats and dogs to exotic animals. This is where they sent a lot of Michael Vick's pit bulls, a few of which are becoming adjusted and adoptable. This trip would pretty much melt my wife's heart as she is a HUGE animal advocate. Don't worry, though, it doesn't interefere with my love of red meat.

I'm not much of a foreign traveler, but I have been to Costa Rica and most recently Italy. I definitely want to go back to both some day. I always wanted to go to Japan and see a Pride FC, but I still wouldn't mind going there for a DREAM or K-1 tournament. I know my wife also wants to go on an African safari too.