ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   HOT TUBS and HEAT SHOCK (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90309)

will-work4andro 11-28-2008 05:02 PM

HOT TUBS and HEAT SHOCK

i was just sitting here...pondering the HSP...we know that Heat Shock Proteins mayhelp attentuate atrophy....so would it be advantageous to sit in a hot tub during a deload or injury to induce HSP's? HSP's have also been shown to protect against diet-induced hyperglycemia, hyperinsulemia, glucose intolerance, and insulin resistance. I might start including this into my exercise program

any thoughts?

Commander 11-28-2008 06:07 PM

I had never heard of this. (Although, I am not on the cutting edge, ha, ha!) But reading your post got me curious, so I found this site.

http://bodybuilding-muscle.blogspot....-workouts.html

24. Relax in a sauna or hot tub every day

>> Japanese researchers reported that rats exposed to a heat chamber set at 105 degrees F for two weeks increased muscle mass by 13% compared to those that weren't exposed to the heat. They concluded the results are likely due to the effect of heat shock proteins (specific proteins in the body that get released when exposed to heat) on cellular mechanisms of muscle growth.

And I thought this was neat. Another way to induce these proteins, if you found a way to do it properly it would be beneficial on a cut.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index...390&StartRow=1

Even so, calorie restriction fosters decreased cellular oxidation, particularly in the portion of the cell that produces energy (mitochondria); induction of 'heat shock proteins' that protect cells from destruction; and insulin control.

Sounds worthy of trying your method, because hey, who doesn't want to relax in a hot tub anyway?

Algavinn 11-28-2008 07:26 PM

Aye, if nothing else after I finish in the gym I use the pool for 10 minutes, hottub for 10, and I feel so relaxed and not as bone tired as I can some times. Definitely an interesting idea!

will-work4andro 11-28-2008 10:08 PM

exercise itself induces HSP...so in times of inactivity it may in theory become advantageous...perhaps another recovery tool...the problem one might run into is getting the muscle hot enough to express HSP's...i believe the don't get expressed until 41 degrees...i still think there might be something to this...we'll see what Venom and the Prez think....

Ratcat 11-29-2008 12:00 PM

In an ideal world I would have a hot bath every weekend. I feel it helps heal battered muscles. :)

President Wilson 11-29-2008 08:40 PM

I think its genius Andro! This is the type of stuff that can give bodybuilders that extra edge in activating anabolic pathways. I love thoughts like this and your work on occlusion because as hard as we train, we need additional methods that do not break us down further, yet still promote hypertrophy.

I am going to institute this myself!

will-work4andro 11-29-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President Wilson (Post 866362)
I think its genius Andro! This is the type of stuff that can give bodybuilders that extra edge in activating anabolic pathways. I love thoughts like this and your work on occlusion because as hard as we train, we need additional methods that do not break us down further, yet still promote hypertrophy.

I am going to institute this myself!

when do you think would be the best to add it in...on off days, such as cardio days

Ratcat 11-30-2008 12:42 PM

Popular folklore says that Epsom Salts added to a bath aids relaxing muscles.
Also Bicarb Soda, but I've not tried it. I'll give it a go and give some feedback. :)

President Wilson 11-30-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will-work4andro (Post 866363)
when do you think would be the best to add it in...on off days, such as cardio days

Off days would be great. One thing i am thinking is when proteins are most susceptable to unnecessary breakdown. After exercise just by the nature of the acidic environment proteins which were not damaged may be unfolded and then tagged by the Ubiquitin system and degraded unnecessarily. Since heat shock proteins refold proteins it may be advantageous to include HOT baths on days where you really obliterate your muscles to the point where you know you shocked them to the point where you r going to have a hard time moving the trained body part the next day. Its in these situations where I think you may be in danger to degrade proteins unnecessarily. So during those time, and on off days, deloading, and injury would be perfect

I'm also curious if the frequency of this should increase during periods of dieting? What do you think? It seems that it may have a sparing effect like HMB

klosey 11-30-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President Wilson (Post 866389)
Off days would be great. One thing i am thinking is when proteins are most susceptable to unnecessary breakdown. After exercise just by the nature of the acidic environment proteins which were not damaged may be unfolded and then tagged by the Ubiquitin system and degraded unnecessarily. Since heat shock proteins refold proteins it may be advantageous to include HOT baths on days where you really obliterate your muscles to the point where you know you shocked them to the point where you r going to have a hard time moving the trained body part the next day. Its in these situations where I think you may be in danger to degrade proteins unnecessarily. So during those time, and on off days, deloading, and injury would be perfect

I'm also curious if the frequency of this should increase during periods of dieting? What do you think? It seems that it may have a sparing effect like HMB

now if this can help muscle growth, would facia streching or general stretching (full muscle contraction) simulate the same anabolic effects as lifting but without the muscle breakdown?