ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Online Training Journal (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Commanding My Body (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90071)

Commander 10-29-2008 07:11 PM

Commanding My Body

If you just redirected here from YouTube...Welcome!

To see recent training posts, click on "Last" in the upper right above this post. It will take you to the last page of this training journal.

------

Mens sana in corpore sano - A sound mind in a sound body

Well, the HyperPLASIA Challenge is over, and I enjoyed the journaling experience and decided to continue it here in the regular journaling forum. You can see my HyperPLASIA experience here:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...ad.php?t=89552

History:
I started lifting “seriously” at age 18. I had worked out for track & field and basketball during high school, but never seriously, in fact, my friends and I would try to ditch practice whenever possible. Senior Year of high school, I had serious body image issues and starved myself from 165 to 139 at my current height of 5’10.5”. Needless to say, I looked like a twig.

Therefore, I decided to bulk up. I took everything I knew at the time (which wasn’t much) and threw together a full body routine, done three times per week, one set until failure for all exercises (with the exception of bench, had to bench 3 sets, ha, ha, the typically high-school mind-set!). I think I got the idea of 1 set until failure from Dorian Yates, I didn’t know at the time that he warmed up! I never got hurt though, the glory of being young and having malleable joints.

It worked reasonably well, I got back up to 162 by the end of the summer eating tons of food whenever possible. I worked at a pizza shop and got to eat huge stromboli’s and make my own ice cream blizzards (yes, I gained some fat too!).

After that, I just gradually gained from 162 to about 180 over the next 10 years. I read a lot of information over those years. Unfortunately, I spent way too much time reading stuff like Muscle & Fitness and being distracted by pro-bodybuilders routines. I didn’t even know about natural bodybuilding or websites like ABC. I have learned more over the last 1 year, by sticking to ABC and reading about what other natural bodybuilders are doing, than the previous 10 years combined. But even still, after all of that learning, I can relate to Socrates better than ever: “As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.”

I am 29 now, and I desire to learn everyday. It has only been recently that I have made any significant push to get more mass. Today, I am 189 and (with the exception of being 196 during the challenge before Strep Throat caught up with me) I am the biggest I ever have been. Unfortunately, I still look pretty skinny.

Worse than being skinny, I recently have realized that I am terribly deficient in strength considering how long I have been training. I realized this has several causes;

1) I never built a solid foundation. I have been doing bodybuilding type routines my whole life and never just focused on getting my core lifts up. Yes, I use big compound movements and, yes, I use progression, but the focus was never on just getting stronger and building a good base.

2) Gaps in my training. I am a husband and father of two young boys and my training has taken a back seat many times to family life. As my boys get older, it has become easier to train and get into a routine. I don’t foresee much getting in the way of my training at this point.

With that said, I have decided to do the Rippetoe Routine as taken from this thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
(I am too cheap to buy the book!)

I will be making as little modifications as possible. I plan on doing DB Inc Bench instead of Flat Barbell Bench and I will do Pendlay Rows instead of Power Cleans. I will not be Squating 3x5 both workouts, but rather I will do 3x10 and 3x5. Otherwise, I am sticking true to the program (the only substitution I did that was not approved according to the forum was the DB Inc Bench). I will gradually add in ab exercises as prescribed and eventually some dips and chins.

EDIT:
page 1-3 Starting Strength
page 14-30 Smolov squat routine - success
page 31-41 Coan/Phillipi Deadlift routine - fail
page 45 Results of 3 month diet, first experiment with cutting
page 46-50 Smolov base cycle
page 117-118 Results of 6 month diet, first serious cut
page 119-120 "Mock" contest week prep
page 132-174 Bulk for first bodybuilding contest: January 11, 2011 to December 4, 2011: 172.2 lb to 200.9 lb
page 169-170 HFS Experiment
page 175-191 Cut for first bodybuilding contest: December 5th 2011 to April 9, 2012: 200.9 lb to 174.7 lb
page 191-193 April 21, 2012, Contest results - 1st Novice Tall, 2nd Open Tall - losing to the Men's Open Overall Winner

Life Manifesto
Training Manifesto

My YouTube Videos

Commander 10-29-2008 07:20 PM

Last night’s workout:

Squat 200 lb 3x5
DB Inc Bench 78 lb each 3x5
Deadlift 343 lb 1x6 (only supposed to do 5, but I was feeling awesome)
Decline Leg Raises BWx12

I know, the squats are pathetic. I think they are my worst exercise, luckily, the weight was easy and I think I can add much weight to my squat over the next few weeks/months.

Deadlift was a PR for me. My max in August was 363 x 1 with horrible form. I plan on hitting 363 x 5 with in several workouts! Added bonus, I had been using straps as a crutch, but the Rippetoe advice was to not use them. So I went for it last night and pulled my reps strapless.

Finished with 10 minutes of GPP:
4 minutes of Front Squats - Tabata method (85 pounds)
6 minutes of sledgehammer work (I pound a tire with a 16 pound sledgehammer)

Musical motivation during the workout was provided by the Transplants (a side project of Rancid’s Tim Armstrong).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk3GCVWiXEg

Commander 10-29-2008 07:34 PM

Current Diet:
Calories 3541
Fat 134
Carbs 348
Protein 232

I believe this to be about my maintenance calories.

I have typically tried to follow John Berardi’s Massive Eating/G-Flux ideas for nutrition. I try to stick to protein/carb meals and protein/fat meals. The exception, as always, is dinner, where I eat whatever my wife cooks (I am blessed really!) which is healthy, but higher in carbs than I would like.

My current goal is to maintain current weight while gaining loads of strength. When I feel that I have stalled in my strength progression, I will likely add some calories and see if I can continue to make strength gains by adding some mass.

Current Supplements:
Fish Oil 12 grams/day
Whey Protein
Creatine
Multi-Vitamin
Vitamin C, E
Calcium
I take Zinc, Magnesium and B6 for my own generic ZMA at night.

Edit:
I forgot a few;
Chromium
Apple Cider Vinegar
ALA
Vandyl Sulfate
Green Tea, 3 cups

Commander 10-29-2008 07:52 PM

Sidenotes about myself:

I came to Christ in 2002 and have been trying to improve my walk with the Lord ever since. In addition to the Bible, I love to read books that bolster my faith, such as Lee Strobel’s Case for Christ and Case for the Creator.

I am also incredibly passionate about politics/history/economics. I feel they all intertwine. I love to devour articles and books on those subjects.

I have two boys, age 4 and 8. Both just got involved in gymnastics and it is very exciting for me to watch them learn to be physically coordinated and graceful.

I have been happily married for 6 years to a stay-at-home mom who paints children’s art, nursery furniture & wall murals, does graphic design, and she has also written a novel. She is truly a wonderful woman of God.

Favorite Music: Punk Rock, Christian Rap (but I listen to lots of other stuff as well)

None of that really matters for the journal, but I figured I would give my ABC friends a glimpse into my life.

Albertog 10-30-2008 03:57 AM

Hey hey! Great work at the challenge, keep up the good work bro!

Nice leg workout btw...if u wanna see pathetic squats look at my 100lbs squats :) Just going up slowly..

Luck with the new journal!

Commander 10-30-2008 02:11 PM

Thanks bro, pathetic is definitely relative to the individual, for how long I have been at the Iron game, I should be pushing more weight than what I do. But it's all good, I am motivated to move some serious weight now!

Commander 10-31-2008 03:40 PM

Last night's workout:

Squat 3x10 175 lb
Military Press 3x5 150 lb
Pendlay Row 3x5 175 lb

For anyone who doesn't know, a Pendlay row is very similar to a Bent Row but you deload between reps. Military Press was HARD, but I didn't miss any reps. Rippetoe's suggestion if you stall is to go back 10%, I started at 140 and will attempt 155 next week, so even if I stall, at least I will not be going lower than my starting weight (155-15). But I don't plan on stalling!

Finished with 8 minutes of GPP:
Various bodyweight exercises
Barbell Complex with 65 lb (bent row, deadlift, SL DL, clean, front squat, military press, back squat good morning) 6 reps each exercise

Musical motivation: Rancid's fifth album....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_eER2-6S8

Commander 11-03-2008 04:06 PM

Squat 210 lb 3x5
DB Inc Bench 80 lb each 3x5
Deadlift 353 lb 1x6 (only supposed to do 5, but like last time I did deadlifts, I was feeling awesome)
Decline Leg Raises BWx12

No GPP, I had to leave for a party. It was out in the boonies, a campfire, bring your dog, pumpkin carving party! Great time!

I am really psyched about the Deadlifts, on Thursday 11/6, I will attempt to lift my rep max from August, 363 lbs, 5 times! Squats still were easy, will bump up to 220 then I may have to slow down to 5 pound increments.

Music by Rancid "Let's Go":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvuae...eature=related

Commander 11-03-2008 08:21 PM

Weight: 190 (steady)
Diet: continues same as listed above, no need to change anything yet.
I missed my GPP yesterday for two reasons; 1) I did praise and worship with 3,4 and 5 year olds at my church for 1 hour, trust me, that was good cardio! 2) I worked a midnight shift last night so I avoided the extra energy expenditure because I needed to stay awake.

will-work4andro 11-03-2008 08:31 PM

LOGGED IN for the long haul