ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Dispelling the cooked protein myth - denaturing is irrelevent (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87589)

Venom 12-14-2007 07:45 AM

Dispelling the cooked protein myth - denaturing is irrelevent

Probably one of the most asked questions I have seen is if cooking your proteins a certain way will render them worthless. After doing research over here in Champaign IL, I can say no, it won't.

In our lab, we literally replicate the human digestion process; and often use even harsher conditions.

Proteins have the ability to form 3d structures through covalent and non-covalent attractions; these are secondary and tertiary structures (single peptide chain structures), and quaternary structures (interactions between more than one peptide chain).

When protein enters the body, one of the first steps is the destruction of these 3d structures by pepsin. This is called denaturing. Then trypsin and HCL work to hydrolyze the the proteins into amino acids and di/tri-peptides which are absorbed by Pept 1 + individual amino transports, and the sodium potassium pump.

The key point here is that all cooking your food is going to do is denature your proteins, and hydrolyze them into peptides / aminos. This will only assist in digestion!

Let me just give you one step in our lab that should alleviate your concern: to completely hydrolyze the proteins into amino acids, we place our samples in 6 N of HCL and incubate them in an oven at 100 C for 24 hours! And they are still stable. You know why we use 6 N of HCL? Because that is what the body uses!

Now go eat some denatured protein! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Birthright1 12-18-2007 06:53 AM

Re: Dispelling the cooked protein myth - denaturing is irrelevent

Nice work boss man. How long did you get to test this? Great news for the well done steak guys in the world.

ryancostill 12-18-2007 12:34 PM

This would apply to using whey protein in baking also?

Venom 12-18-2007 10:10 PM

Yup!

I have only been doing this since august; but its a standard protocol used by many scientists.

Obsidian 12-21-2007 11:11 PM

What about freezing whey, Venom? Are there any "negative denaturing" effects there? It should be alright I would think.

Venom 12-22-2007 04:33 PM

Actually that decreases the degredative processes. Which is why we put our samples in our freezer between preparation steps.

Bahir 12-23-2007 05:42 PM

Good to know. I always though that myth sounded stupid. Boiled protein shake, anyone?

Birthright1 12-24-2007 01:28 AM

Would it be a good idea to freeze whey before use? Or is the normal consumption rate of a 5lb jug fast enough that it would not make a difference?

Venom 12-24-2007 03:00 AM

No, you don't have to freeze it. I asked Layne Norton in my lab if it was necessary to freeze our samples after we hydrolyze the proteins w/ HCL and incubate them for 24 hrs. He made a great point: any damage that could be done was done at that point! Which appears to be minimal / none...so whether you freeze it or keep it out at room temperature should have little effect on the stability of the amino acids.

rickck48 12-27-2007 02:58 AM

My compliments, excellent explaination even us lamen can understand this one. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]