ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Online Training Journal (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Boka's Journal - Gearing up for DESTRUCTION! (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87552)

Boka 12-10-2007 02:50 AM

Boka\'s Journal - Gearing up for DESTRUCTION!

So Welcome to my new Journal, a first one in a while.

So the insane mind that is me has not yet fully concluded how this will all turn out. But here is the general gist of it.

It will consist of several training sessions per day, six times a week.

GOALS
<font color="blue">PRIMARY</font> - Short Term
- Improve my overall Strength and Conditioning
- Cut down the extra bodyfat for Muay Thai
- Improve Muay Thai Skills
- Try and get back to where I was before all my injuries
- improve Shoulder, Elbow and Grip strength for Muay Thai and Rock Climbing

<font color="red">SECONDARY</font> - Long Term
- Gain more LBM
- Improve my Cardiovascular endurance for Long distance Running and Triathlon work
- Improve Muscular endurance for Kettlebell work
- Improve Shoulder and Grip stamina for Kite Surfing
- Get ready for footy season.

Those are my current goals, I am sure more will come about along the way but for now those are it.

The tools that I'll be using are as follows:

- Dumbbell = DB
- Barbell = BB
- Kettlebell = KB
- Indian Clubs = CB or "Club"
- Bulgarian Power Bag = PB or "Bag"
- Elastic Resistance Bands = Bands
- Medicine Balls = MB
- Plus a whole bunch of other fun and weird stuff.

Well tomorrow is the first day, I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

Boka 12-10-2007 02:51 AM

Re: Boka\'s Journal - A Return to Training.

Okay I am going to use this space to define what crossfit is for people. So that it may help people who stop by understand what crossfit is.

Here is a description taken from wikipedia that I feel is pretty good at getting to the core of things.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">CROSSFIT</font>

CrossFit is a strength and conditioning fitness methodology, aimed at creating the quintessential athlete, "equal parts gymnast, Olympic weightlifter and sprinter." CrossFit promotes broad and general overall physical fitness. CrossFit features varied workout programs based on functional movement performed at high intensity. Workouts are brief (often 20 minutes or less) and do not use exercise machines.

Description:
CrossFit maintains that proficiency is required in each of 10 fitness domains:

- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
- Stamina
- Strength
- Flexibility
- Power
- Speed
- Agility
- Balance
- Coordination
- Accuracy

CrossFit uses equipment such as:

- Free weights
- Kettlebells
- Gymnastics rings
- Pull-up bars
- Calisthenics exercises.

CrossFit may call on athletes to skip, run, row, climb ropes, jump up on boxes, flip giant tires, and carry odd objects. They can also squat and explode up to bounce medicine balls against walls.

CrossFit workouts typically call for athletes to work hard and fast, often with no rest. Many CrossFit gyms use scoring and ranking systems, transforming workouts into sport. CrossFit publishes its own journal and certifies its own trainers. Many CrossFit athletes and trainers see themselves as part of a contrarian insurgent movement that questions conventional fitness wisdom.

Criticism:
Some fitness professionals say Crossfit workouts require so much technique and intensity that participants risk injury. CrossFit responds by citing an essential element of its methodology: workouts should always be individually scaled and varied. Critics also fault CrossFit's high drop out rate (up to 80% at Glassman's Santa Cruz gym). CrossFit responds that its high intensity and competitive atmosphere are not for everyone. CrossFit says the drop out rate is also high at conventional gyms -- where many clients rely on machines, record few performance gains, and pay in advance for annual memberships they quickly abandon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are also some links to articles from crossfit about the systems approach.

Understanding Crossfit

What is Fitness

Crossfit's foundations.

Boka 12-10-2007 02:51 AM

Saved For future use pt2.

Vamoose 12-10-2007 03:08 AM

Good to see you back. Good luck.

Boka 12-10-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to see you back. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank Vamoose, the 1st workout is Tomorrow at 6am. Plus later in the day I'll probably do a Crossfit workout, I am currently deciding on which on of the Girls (Bench Mark workout) to do.

Boka 12-10-2007 05:43 PM

Okay here are the Morning Workouts from today.

DATE: Dec 10/07

<font color="blue">STRENGTH TRAINING</font> - 6:00AM Start

BENCH PRESS ss PULL UPS
5/135 ss 6/bw
5/155 ss 6/bw
5/175 ss 6/bw
5/185 ss 5/bw
5/185 ss 5/bw
--- 1min brake between Presses, that is when I did pull-ups

INCLINE DB PRESS ss INCLINE DB FLY'S
10/40 ss 12/15
10/50 ss 12/15
8/60 ss 10/20
7/65 ss 10/20
-- 45sec Brake between sets

DIPS
8x4/BW
-- 30sec brakes

DECLINE PRESS ss DB BICEP CURLS
5/135 ss 12/20
5/155 ss 12/20
5/175 ss 10/25
4/175 ss 10/25
5/155 ss 8/25
-- 1min brake between pressing, I did Bicep curls for the sheer vanity of it. They weren't suppose to be a part of the routine.

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
10/60 dp 10/50
10/70 dp 10/60
8/80 dp 8/70
8/70 dp 8/60
-- 45sec brake between dropsets

TOTAL TIME: 35MIN

An okay quick workout to get things started, I had an hour before my 1st clients so I jumped at the opportunity to do some bench work. My 1st Bench session sense I separated my shoulder in mid-late August.

<font color="red">INDIAN CLUB WORKOUT</font> - 11:00AM START

This was a circuit workout consisting of 3 cycles, there was not brake between cycles or exercises.

1. SIDE PENDULUM TO SIDE FLAG
2. DOUBLE CLUB SHIELD CAST
3. HAMMER SWINGS
4. DOUBLE CLUB FLAG PRESS
5. CRUCAFIC CAST

CYCLE ONE
1. 10/15R 10/15L
2. 10/15R 10/15L
3. 10/15R 10/15L
4. 10/15
5. 10/15

CYCLE TWO
1. 10/15R 10/15L
2. 10/15R 10/15L
3. 10/15R 10/15L
4. 10/15
5. 8/15

CYCLE THREE
1. 10/15R 10/15L
2. 8/15R 8/15L
3. 10/15R 10/15L
4. 8/15
5. 6/15

TOTAL TIME: 6:45MIN

That was very had on the shoulders, grip and elbows. It only just just less then 7min but I am still feeling it.

Stay tuned for this evenings workouts.

Boka 12-11-2007 04:12 AM

Alright todays part two.

<font color="purple">CROSSFIT - HELENE</font> (BENCH MARK WORKOUT) = 4:00PM

So today I decided to do a bench mark workout, it was quick and painful to say the least. Here is what it looked like:

400meter Run
1pood KB Swings (36lb) - 21reps
Kipping Pull-ups - 12reps
-- REPEAT 3 TIMES WITHOUT ANY BREAKS

TIME TO COMPLETION: 11:21min

Helene was a cruel mistress, she was quick and very painful. I had to make some alterations to the original Helene things such as:

- Use Treadmill instead of track or outside. This was because I am nowhere near a track and there is ice outside on the ground.
- Use a 1pood (36lb) KB instead of a 1.5pood (53lb) KB. I did not have a 1.5pood bell in the gym so I made do with what I had.

<font color="green">CARDIO</font> - 7:00PM

TREADMILL
TIME - 25min
DISTANCE: 2.31miles
EXTRA: 20lb weight vest

This was just not fun at all especially just a couple of hours after Helene.

<font color="brown">MUAY THAI</font> - 8:00PM

To end the day I had my (!@#$%^&amp;*) kicked for about an hour and a half in Muay Thai training. And also I got hit in the face about 4-5 times, and cut my lips and had a bit of a bloody nose.

Over all a good training day, can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store for me. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Vamoose 12-11-2007 04:17 AM

I'm going to have to try that Helene workout this summer at the beach with swimming substituted for running. There's a set of monkey bars in the parking lot.

Boka 12-11-2007 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to try that Helene workout this summer at the beach with swimming substituted for running. There's a set of monkey bars in the parking lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go nuts my friend, just be warned she isn't kind.. But the key to the workout is no stopping! You run, you swing and you do pull ups then repeat 3 times. Very short and very effective.

icehawk 12-11-2007 07:49 PM

****, that's a long-(!@#$%^&amp;*) day of training. Do you do anything else besides workout Boka? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm thinking about two-a-days for the winter break. Definitely have to improve my conditioning for MT and bball.