ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Online Training Journal (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86729)

Venom 09-03-2007 03:23 AM

The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Interestingly enough, it was about this same time last year, and the year before, that I started my prior two training journals. So I guess there is just something about the month of August that makes me want to get huge lol.

You can read my last journal here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...page/0#1207185

Time for journal numero tres!

A lot has changed again this year. Basically, my focus for the last several years has been getting into a doctoral program where I can do research for bodybuilding. And I'm quite pleased to say that I've accomplished that goal!

And now that I'm here, I need to take everything to another level. Mentally, physically, and spiritually, I need to think, and act like an elite professional. In order to accomplish these goals, I'm going to need as much social support as I can get. And that is why I'm starting another journal here on ABC.

I'm pretty excited about my upcoming training program. I have been working incessantly for the last decade to develop programs that will optimize performance, growth, and fat loss for bodybuilders. And I have loads of ideas that I want to try on myself.

My focus is on the next 30 days, and no more. I want my body to completely change in that time span. I officially started my split this Saturday, which was September 1st. So on October 1st, I expect to see a completely different me.

I'll post my split and diet up hopefully tomorrow.

I look forward to talking to you guys, and growing! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dzoni 09-03-2007 10:51 AM

Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Hey Venom,

Good to see you starting another journal. It's going to be good to see your plans and ideas. Will be fun to watch.

Is this going to be a "get big, stay lean" type of journal, or strictly one or the other?

Good luck

Builder15 09-03-2007 03:54 PM

I will be keeping my eye on this journal. I think it is a great idea and will hopefully motivate me as well to kick my training up to the next level (only i have an injury that prevents me from doing so). Good luck!

Venom 09-03-2007 04:07 PM

Thanks, guys.

Um, not quite sure about your question, Dzoni. My goals will vary a lot, so my discussions and program will probably change. Overall, I'll be posting my diet, training, and various methods I use. But anything you guys want to discuss is cool with me.

Venom 09-03-2007 07:55 PM

Here is my first workout for this journal! I'm not going to list my weights on machines, because I don't care what I do on leg extensions. Most of the time they are maxed.

Thighs, calves, abs, HIIT

Rest periods: 1 minutes rest between every set, or less. On some of the super sets, I just went back and forth between exercises.

Squat machine - 3*10, 6 plates aside
Barbell lunges - 3*12, 185
Feet elevated full squats - 225 3*10
Alternating leg extensions w/ seated hamstring curls - 4 * 15
Reverse Hack Squats - 3 *12, 5 plates aside
Dumbbell stiff leg deads w/ weighted smith machine sissy squats - 3*10-15, 110 dumbbells, 10+5 on either side of smith machine
Decline sit ups w/ hanging leg raises w/ leg extensions - 4 sets to failure (high reps), and 4 drops on the last set of leg extensions

For calves
Donkey calve raise machine w/ standing calve raise machine - 4 * 8-15 reps
Old school tibialis raises - 4 sets, static contraction and partial reps at the end of each set

7 minute HIIT - 20 seconds sprint, 30 seconds rest intervals. I would have gone a longer, but my gym was closing.

Then stretching to close it out.

TOTAL: about 90 minutes. 23 sets of thighs (super set =1 set), 4 sets of abs, 8 sets of calves. 35 Sets total.

That's about as good as it gets for thighs. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Pretty happy with that.

On my reps, I just approximate, because I lose count anyway. So that is probably plus or minus 3 on everything.

I like that one squat machine in my gym, because you can go super heavy on it, and it just feels good mentally when you do that.

First time ever I did reverse hack squats after watching Layne Norton do them. It's a really good quad exercise, and you can go really heavy on this, too. Very short range of motion. I'll go up next time.

Fahsy 09-03-2007 10:43 PM

Nice workout Gabe!

Dzoni 09-03-2007 10:48 PM

Looking good, reminds me of my volume days.

I'll be sure to keep asking more questions once you start posting full on with your diet and workouts etc [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

lifting5 09-04-2007 01:34 AM

Glad to see another one of these, good luck!

Venom 09-05-2007 01:45 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Today I did old schools delt and trap, first workouts for each. You can read those here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/worko...7&subId=44

I really like those two routines. Probably my favorite ones he designed.

I also did some forearms:

15-20-25 method on alternating hammer curls
5 sets of sitting barbell curls (15 reps) w/ farmers walk (really good pump on this!).

I was a little tired today. I got a poor nights sleep, so I was dazing off a little during the day. But I felt fine during and after my workout.

Venom 09-06-2007 02:30 AM

Back, biceps, calves

4 sets full floor dead lifts - 405 (3*5), 315 (12) w/ wide grip lat pull downs (8-12 reps)
4 sets 21's on straight arm pull-overs
4 sets lying on the ground face pulls
4 sets t-bar row machine - 4 plates, 8-12 reps per set. 3 plates on the last set for a burnout
5 sets free weight pull-down machine - 3 sets 4 plates aside, 4 reps, several cheats, and hold at top for 10-15 seconds at the end. 2 sets 3 plates, 12 reps each
3 sets Bent over rows - 225 (3*10) w/ close grip pull-ups

Biceps - blood occlusion training.

I learned this from big fahsy! Read about it in the scientific article forum.

When doing this, I firmly wrap an LP compression wrap around my arm, as tight as I can without it actually causing pain. I only have one LP wrap that I brought from home, so I have to do one arm at a time for now. I have to find another one, because this thing rocks for calves and arms!

I do one arm at a time, then do the same thing with the other arm, with the rap on. I like to keep the rap on the entire time I do the sets, which is why I do one arm at a time before taking the wrap off.

5 sets one arm standing dumbbell curls
3 sets one arm, on preacher curl machine

Repeat with other arm.

The pump on this was great.

CALVES

I did staggard sets for calves in-between my back sets

8 sets incline calve raise machine
8 sets seated calve raise machine
4 sets standing reverse calve raises

I like staggard sets a lot. Basically, I was moving the entire time in the gym. I went from back, to calves, and almost immediately repeated that. No more than a minute rest between sets.

I really like going higher volume on my back. That has always worked well for me.

Total: about 2 hours, 24 sets back, 20 sets calves, 8 sets biceps. 52 sets total.

That was quite a lot. But time really flew by today. I just moved the entire workout and got in a really good flow state. Thank God for proper pre and post exercise nutrition!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]