ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83164)

Venom 12-15-2006 09:22 PM

Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)

Recently, President Wilson wrote an article on the concept of NEAT. This can be read here, NEAT.

NEAT concerns activities which are physical but fall outside of exercise such as pacing, fiddling, typing, talking, standing, tying your shoes, and other occupational activities performed at work or school. Studies indicate that NEAT may explain the majority of the difference between individuals in terms of their energy expended in a given day. In fact, it ranges from 15-50 % of total calories expended in a given day depending on whether an individual is sedentary or active.

This is a cool graph that typifies the importance of NEAT

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/neat2.gif

This figure graphically compares energy expenditure of various activities relative to resting levels of energy expenditure. Some notable findings are that something as simple as chewing gum increased energy expenditure above resting levels by 20%!

So what I want to know from you guys, is what methods do you think would be effective, realistic implementations of NEAT in our daily lives, that we can all adhere too?

Here are some suggestions from the Presidents article:

[ QUOTE ]
Here are sample ideas of how you can enhance NEAT.

1. Instead of sitting in your office, move your computer screen and type writer up to standing level and spend the day typing while standing. All of a sudden your “desk job” becomes a standing job, and you will metabolize a substantially higher amount of calories per day. While it seems strange, I have personally seen my brother Gabriel adapt easily to this method.

2. When studying or reading a paper, try reading it while ambulating (pacing). Your energy expenditure will literally double!

3. Ignore the elevator and take the stairs. You might also not worry too much about parking right in front of the store. If there’s a parking further away, take it.

4. Chew gum!

5. When dieting be extra conscious of NEAT levels as it may be the main reason why you stop metabolizing fat when you diet.

6. Just because you can sit, does not mean that you have to sit. I notice that whenever individuals have a chance to take a load off they do. But while dieting this may not be the wise thing to do.

The amazing thing about behavior is that it is modifiable with practice and experience. If you begin to implement these activities then they will become second nature, and you will substantially notice yourself becoming leaner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Venom 12-15-2006 09:32 PM

Re: Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)

I have noticed standing makes a huge difference for me.

Since a great deal of my time is spent on the internet (i.e. ABC), or writing or researching, the choice to stand or sit can make a larger difference in my energy expenditure, than someone who is in a physically active occupation, such as construction working. So as stated above, I have adapted my computer set up, so I have the option to stand and sit. My computer desk has two shelves. So when I want to stand, I just slip the key board on the top one; when I want to sit, I slip it down to the bottom. Right now, I am standing. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In the past, when I have written massive articles like my satiety one, I have noticed that I gain fat during this stage. And I have noticed a high correlation between sitting down all day, like I do when researching, and fat gain. I have told several people about this. Well, standing has really helped.

One problem I found with this at first, is man did it hurt my feet! But I soon adapted, and that is no longer an issue.

It has actually really helped some back pains I had. The issue with sitting, is that we often develop sloppy posture. Our body tends to let loose on our proprioreceptors, and we then sag, or lean forward when we sit. And this causes back issues. In 1999, it was reported that 40% of workplace injuries “were strains and sprains, most often involving the back” (ErgoWeb, 2001). In fact, only the common cold has caused more absences in workplaces in the United States than lower back injuries (Cherkin et al., 1994 as cited by Hall, 2003).

A lot of this is related to problems with posture, or picking up objects incorrectly.

I think it would be a great idea to give people the option to sit or stand in the work place. I think this would decrease injuries, and increase NEAT.

I also chew gum. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Venom 12-15-2006 09:34 PM

I also could have sworn I made a post like this earlier, but I did not see it... Even if I did, it is a good topic to discuss! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lifting5 12-17-2006 05:58 AM

I just read all your posts Venom......very interesting! Who would have thought chewing gum would raise it that much?

dashforce 12-17-2006 11:20 AM

I see that chewing gum gives a substantial boost over just sitting, but is that increase enough to cover the 5 (or so) calories in a stick of sugar-free gum (the sugar alcohol kind)? I would expect so -- as long as you chew it for long enough.

TheShanMan 12-20-2006 09:49 PM

I like these ideas! I recently took up gum chewing and I also just dumped a bunch of money into a nice paint job for my 66 mustang, so I like parking far away where there's little chance of door dings! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

dashforce 12-23-2006 09:00 PM

Hmmm... I did a few searches that said that chewing sugarless gum at 100 chews per minute raised test subjects' basal metabolic rates by about 20%, but that this extrapolated into a potential weight loss of 11 pounds per year if one chewed literally all day every day 365 days per year. I wonder what the actual calories in: calories out ratio is for an average stick of gum. Most sugarfree gums I chew have like 5 calories, and it's kinda tough to chew the same one all day, so I probably would average 3-5 sticks per day if I were to consciously try to chew one all day long. So that's around 20 calories in...

Here's something

[ QUOTE ]
Sugar-free gum helps to raise metabolism and the number of calories burned, according to researchers from the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. They found that, on average, participants in a study burned 11 more calories per hour when chewing gum than when they are not. Sticking to sugar-free brands prevented those calories being reabsorbed from the gum.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if it lists 5 calories, one might assume that those 5 are reabsorbed due to the partial metabolism of sugar alcohols (depending on which ones), so that's a net change of 6 calories per hour...
For one pound of fat 3500/6=583 hours, = about 7 weeks of chewing gum at 12 hours per day. At 5 sticks per day (1 pack) and purchasing in bulk (1.45 for 10 packs at the local army post) that's 7 dollars and 7 weeks and a whole lot of chewing.

On the oher hand, there's at least one website I ran across that discourages gum chewing because they claim that chewing stimulates the pancreas to begin enzyme secretion in anticipation of food. And for some reason that escaped me, that seemed really bad. A quick (preliminary) google search didn't find anything to substantiate that.

NeoNasty 02-06-2007 12:58 AM

Interesting idea. I have read about this before on T nation and while it makes sense there are also problems that could arrise from constant chewing like added wear and tear on your teeth and jaw. Extra strain on your knees and feet, depending on where you put your weight.

When standing for a long time I put all my weight on the heel of my foot and after a while it begins to hurt. Perhaps better shoes are required or even better bare feet! Not sure OH&S will appreciate that though

ryancostill 02-06-2007 03:42 AM

Regarding chewing gum... Wouldnt the salivation produced by constant chewing increase hunger? Couldnt such a side affect offset the extra calories burned for an individual cutting if it means they find it harder to adhere to their diet?

tristan_v1 02-06-2007 06:55 AM

Really intersting stuff!!!... thanks venom for the post.