ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77330)

TheMac 03-29-2006 12:13 AM

Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals

Here are two quick tips that should help you to train your abdominals much more effectively!

1. Maintain a posterior pelvic tilt during all your ab training. This means having the front of your hips face upwards. Your lower back should be touching the ground while doing any lying down abdominal work. In doing so we shift the weight from our hip flexors to our abs. I see this done wrong so many times in the gym no wonder why no one ever feels their abs contract.

2. To quote Old Schools ab training article located here :
[ QUOTE ]
The abdominal muscles primarily work within a 0 to 45 range of motion (ROM). When the plane of motion exceeds 45, the hip flexor and psoas muscles carry out a majority of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the reason why people preform so many crunches is because they never really feel their abs working. With these 2 tips in mind i sure hope you do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TheMac 03-29-2006 12:15 AM

Re: Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals

I also want to mention that the first time i learned about the posterior tilt i could not do one lying leg raise without my hips comming up so don't be surprised if you can't get 1 full rep yet, keep working at it!

stillflabby 03-31-2006 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I find the reason why people preform so many crunches is because they never really feel their abs working. With these 2 tips in mind i sure hope you do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered how people can do so many crunches at a time.

I do 15 and the burn is setting in, after 25 the pain is searing.

I usually don't do more than 25 with out switching things a bit, like throwing in a side twist.

thanks for the tips!!

TheMac 04-01-2006 01:19 AM

I am currently doing pilates in school and don't know if i ever want to go back to high rep work...after 8 reps of anything in pilates you are dieing!

Quality over Quantity!

04-02-2006 02:35 AM

Thats cool you are doing pilates! I feel like I really need to improve my core strengh, and I'd like to take a pilates class but my gym doesn't offer one right now. Do you think it's helpful?

TheMac 04-02-2006 04:19 AM

If core strength and overall stabilization is your goal they are great! Very functional stuff too!

mighty mouse 04-07-2006 05:38 AM

good tips i'll start right away

Growth In Motion 04-19-2006 06:52 AM

I gotta save these Mac, every tip is awesome. And an added bonus, they make me feel alot smarter lol