ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   HYPERplasia Research (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tip of the Week: Traps down for good posture (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75446)

TheMac 01-29-2006 01:54 AM

Tip of the Week: Traps down for good posture

<font color="red">This is probably the number one reason for bad posture seen in bodybuilders these days. I beleive that part of this is from people using a weight too heavy for them and part not being educated on proper form.

A persons traps are one of the strongest body parts in our body, if you have ever done any heavy Barbell shrugs you will agree with me here. With that said working a bodypart like your back you might want to consider eliminating the work your upper traps are doing in order to keep proper posture.

To do this you must ensure they stay relaxed during the entire movement, for most people this means your arms should not pass your body in any sort of rowing exercise. The easiest way to test this is to have a partner feel if your trap is flexing during the movement. Executing this properly will not only keep your upper trap fibers from overdeveloping but actually develope other postural muscles (such as Pectoralis Minor) much more effectively.
</font>

Mavrick 01-29-2006 02:23 AM

Re: Tip of the Week: Traps down for good posture

so this is what makes the no-neckers?

TheMac 01-29-2006 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so this is what makes the no-neckers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it does! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mavrick 01-29-2006 05:17 AM

Thanks!, but is it ok for my traps to flar up a little when i do curls? or should i completly stop that and only use my traps when doing trap specifc stuff like shurgs

TheMac 01-29-2006 07:03 AM

you bring up an interesting observation. Your traps are actually required to stabilize you during curling movements so that is actually ok, they are an exception to the rule due to the direction of resistance [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

An interesting fact, if you injure your trap to the point of not functioning properly did you know that you would actually lose almost all your mass in your bicep as well? Traps are very important for stabilizing during curling movements.
(i remember hearing about a guy who injured his right trap and lost all his bicep mass as well, he had an 18inch left arm and a 12inch right arm lol).

4 His Glory 01-29-2006 09:54 PM

Great Info thanks!

02-04-2006 01:04 PM

Great post! Also, I read somewhere in an ABC article that JW recommended taking a pulldown position but instead of pulling the bar down with the arms, to flex the "armpit muscles" so you're kind of working in the opposite direction of the traps. I think he said it helped with getting your neck back!

kmoney 02-11-2006 05:11 PM

so much great info you guys!!

Venom 02-16-2006 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you bring up an interesting observation. Your traps are actually required to stabilize you during curling movements so that is actually ok, they are an exception to the rule due to the direction of resistance [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

An interesting fact, if you injure your trap to the point of not functioning properly did you know that you would actually lose almost all your mass in your bicep as well? Traps are very important for stabilizing during curling movements.
(i remember hearing about a guy who injured his right trap and lost all his bicep mass as well, he had an 18inch left arm and a 12inch right arm lol).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic post!