ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardcore Training (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   P90X: a scam or the real deal? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69258)

Njari 07-07-2005 10:18 AM

P90X: a scam or the real deal?

So my brother-in-law is getting ready to start this program called "P90X," and I was inititially sceptical. (It is sold here and the parent company is "Beach Body.")

My hesitation was simply that it was an "all-in-one" plan marketed to desparate everyman joe, all for the low low price of $150 (if unsatisfied, you can keep the free gift! Woo hoo!).

I've never taken infomertials very seriously.

However, now that I've looked into the plan, it looks reasonable. The workouts are done at home, so I doubt that my 'bro will be pushing some serious iron, but at least it uses lots of compound lifts (chin-ups/dumbbell presses/etc...). I hve no idea what they'll do for a leg workout. I know that the diet is VERY tightly controlled, as is the cardio. Supplements are sold on the site, and they apper to be over-priced and very vague about what your getting (a red flag in my book).

So, has anyone had experience with this plan? I no longer think its a scam, but can anyone fill in some more details? He's anxious to learn, so I'm pointing him towards some of the best abc articles.

Coz 07-07-2005 10:25 AM

Re: P90X: a scam or the real deal?

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Why would anyone pay $150 for a workout programs that is basically some bodyweight exercises and a diet? Oh yes, because they are lazy to do some of their own research.

You will not achieve the results anywhere near if you would use weights so you are basically saying goodbye to $150 for an inferior program. If he really wants to spend some money, tell him to invest his $150 in some Champion Nutrition supplements on this site and and follow the FREE 13 week to harcore fat-burnign diet and workout.

littleamazon 07-07-2005 10:28 AM

Ok, first, I have used this program as well as other beachbody products.

Notice that on P90X they are developing a workout based on:

1)Not training full body but each body part on a separate day.

2)If you look at the breakdown, there are a LOT of better splits here at ABC but for phase 1:

Chest & Back
Delts and Arms
Legs and Back

In terms of the cardio, the plyometrics is intense and high impact *I have used it, several times* but you could design a better customized program.

Kenpo X is OK but notice that these workouts are designed so that your cardio fits into the fat burning program. Needless to say, if you are a bodybuilder, and here at ABC, you already know all the basic moves in this program and more and are better off with the 13 week diet and the 13 week workout.

I like the AB ripper X, I think it is great for variety on your abs training since it combines pilates with ab exercises, working all the core BUT again, you could create a better program on your own.

Still notice that they have the old approach here of reps...per goal..so they will tell you that to increase strenght go from 8-10 reps and for endurance, go from 12-15 reps.

I don't like their meals and menu options, eventhough you could make this at home.

Their recovery drink? OUR PWO shake is beyond that, since you calculate your numbers and your nutritional needs better met.

Concepts like supersetting same muscle, supersetting opposing muscles are used as shocking methods. There are is one combo for biceps that uses strip sets and a reverse pyramid but that's all. It is a watered-down version of introduction to bodybuilding for dummies.

On the diet, it follows a similar structure as carb cycling BUT...instead of being variable macros per day, they vary the macros per month. I personally do not like the last phase on 60% carbs, 10% protein and 30% fat..

If you have any more questions, please ask. I came to ABC from being a very active member at Beachbody.com from Power 90 to Slim in 6 Series to Power 90X. ABC is beyond Beachbody's dreams. Beachbody doesn't promote growing as athletes intellectually, since the methods behind their training techniques are not discussed, they have their own products *that are not necessary for success*

On a plus side, they encourage creatine, as well as whey..but then again, they still have people eating 40/30/30.

I already knew all the basics behind the training. My progress would have been greater if I had found ABC first but..at least I found it!

Amazon

Kasaz 07-07-2005 10:32 AM

Why not save the $150.00 + money you have to spend on supplements which would boost his gran total well over $200.00 into the $250.00-$300.00 range. Spend 1/3 of that, and but some good supplements, and just follow a program on this board for free?

Start with this...
13 Weeks to Fat Burning Workout

Then check out this sight and pick up some Whey Protein, Glutamine, and some other good supplements. Which total may cost you $75.00-$100.00 total.

eduatty 07-07-2005 10:42 AM

Tell your brother not to waste his money. You can get everything they're offering for free right here on ABC!

From the website:

[ QUOTE ]
P90X is a revolutionary system of 12 sweat-inducing, muscle-pumping workouts,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the 13 weeks or 24 mass blitz workouts maybe?

[ QUOTE ]
designed to transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

designed to, but not guaranteed . . . just like any workout plan

[ QUOTE ]
You'll also receive a comprehensive 3-phase nutrition plan,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a diet and w/ the info. on ABC, you can put together your own diet.

[ QUOTE ]
specially designed supplement options,

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means overpriced, generic supps. You already know what you need -- whey, glutamine, etc. I didn't look into their supps but a good guess is they're full of stuff that doesn't work, as we learn here at ABC.

[ QUOTE ]
a detailed fitness guide,

[/ QUOTE ]

See the workouts and exercise tabs above!

[ QUOTE ]
a calendar to track your progress

[/ QUOTE ]

Yippee! That'll help you get ripped for sure!

[ QUOTE ]
online peer support

[/ QUOTE ]

You've already got the best of the best right here!

[ QUOTE ]
and much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not worth listing apparently.

[ QUOTE ]
Your personal trainer, Tony Horton, will keep you engaged every step of the way

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he's a great guy but come on, he's an entrepeneur, plain and simple. He's looking to get rich.

[ QUOTE ]
The secret behind the P90X system is an advanced training technique called "Muscle Confusion," which accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus, and you never get bored!

[/ QUOTE ]

Um . . . yeah, we know all about variation here at ABC. Again, see the tabs above! You change your set/rep scheme, change exercises and splits, cycle carbs, etc., to keep growing. I learned that for free! I didn't know, though, that muscles were sentient beings, capable of becoming confused! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Whether you want to get lean, bulk up, or just plain get ripped, there's an endless variety of ways to mix and match the routines

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and you can learn all about it right here!

Save your money. They offer nothing new, just fancy packaging. And lets face it, the "90 days" business is largely bologna for about 99% of us. With the info. on ABC, you basically have everything they're selling except the bogus claims of "lean to ripped in 90 days!"

I am a little peeved though that I didn't get a free calendar for becoming a member on ABC. . .

littleamazon 07-07-2005 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a little peeved though that I didn't get a free calendar for becoming a member on ABC. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to post on the Member's section after 150 posts..LOL.

Amazon

Ribnastay 07-07-2005 11:01 AM

I thought everyone knew already, the only way to get those six pack abs is Fitness Made Simple with John Basedow [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

littleamazon 07-07-2005 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought everyone knew already, the only way to get those six pack abs is Fitness Made Simple with John Basedow [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Now, THAT makes sense! LOL

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Amazon

getnbgr 07-07-2005 12:27 PM

No no no it's these pills I saw on the TV the other evening called 'ab be gone'.... it said you'll lose the fat off your abs overnight.... they had actual before and after photos [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

J/K [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Xyphos 07-07-2005 02:37 PM

When is it ever "the real deal" lol [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]