ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   My Drug of Choice (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67343)

Tuf 05-21-2005 02:58 PM

My Drug of Choice

CAFFEINE! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lol

I was just curious as to how many of you women supplement with caffeine? I started several months ago and I think it is a fantastic aid. It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ha ha.

Do any of you ladies use it?

Leafy Green Vegetables 05-21-2005 05:08 PM

Re: My Drug of Choice

I am not a lady, but before I got into trying to gain mass I was a runner and would have a cup of straight black coffee before races. While I did not perform any statistical analysis to see if it bettered my times, it sure felt like it did.

I am not sure how well this would apply to lifting for me though.

Adam Knowlden 05-22-2005 12:19 AM

Well I'm not a woman but I supplement with caffeine. I think its an invaluable tool for prioritizing.

NJI 05-22-2005 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is because caffeine increases dopamine concentration in the synapse by inhibiting the process of adenosine. Dopamine is involved in reward and motivation in the brain. Basically increasing the salicity of the activity! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

TheMac 05-22-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is because caffeine increases dopamine concentration in the synapse by inhibiting the process of adenosine. Dopamine is involved in reward and motivation in the brain. Basically increasing the salicity of the activity! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
who did the what now? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...I only hope to be as knowledgable as you one day Nick [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

X-Factor 05-22-2005 06:17 PM

I can say that about so many people here it's ridiculous.

PS. How much caffeine is optimal to supplement with? And how?

NJI 05-22-2005 08:17 PM

Caffeine isn't something you want to supplement with a regular basis. Using it sparingly is much more effective, limit yourself to 1-2 times/week( this includes caffeinated beverages etc ). The less you use caffeine the greater effect it has on your body( and the less you need to acheive the desired effect.

If you're only supplementing 1-2 times/week( if even that ) you could get away with 100 mg.

Many people use it during only one workout/week as a small boost. Check this article out:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/caffeine.htm

Agent_89 05-22-2005 08:29 PM

Not a female here ...but I thought I might just add my 2 cents.
I also use caffeine (coffee) - it does wonders for me.
A nice jolt of it pre-workout really boosts intensity.
Although sometimes I think I drink too much.

On a side note: The collective knowledge of the people on this site truly amazes me ! Nice work you guys ......& gals [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm off to read.. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/caffeine.htm
Thanks for the link
Agent_89

Adam Knowlden 05-22-2005 11:15 PM

Awesome breakdown Nick!!!

Blux 05-23-2005 06:03 AM

About the drugs ... don't do drugs.

caffeine is nto really an exception. i could go into this but i don't think detailed analysis is needed and NJI already stated the perctical apsect in the post here and theoretical in the article he refered to.

I'll add one thing not covered there (naturally, since it's not directly ... but is indirectly bbilding realted) ... impact on body rythem, sleep clock and body temperature levels. In short - it's bad. Longterm - it's havoc. (i know ppl who know ppl who know that YOU know ppl who "can't live" without coffe). insomnia is a symptom here.

I use it sometime. Perhaps 5x a year in dossage. Otherwise ... green tea (more often)... but it's not holy water. Neither is caffeine. Holy water is... well... water.