ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The splits! (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60417)

hardgaingirl1 03-11-2004 02:46 PM

The splits!

Okay, this doesn't have much to do with weights or nutrition but I thought maybe you ladies would be able to give me some advice on this. I have decided to try out for my college's dance team. I danced for 8 years when I was younger and miss it a lot. I need to be able to do the splits... but have never been able to. So my question is what can I do to be able to do the splits? Stretch a lot? I have about a month and a half.

Also, if anyone has any advice on doing toe touches (when you jump in the air) that would be great too, cuz i can't do those either!

Thanx! And sorry if this is kind of a girly/annoying post! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

nutritionfreak 03-11-2004 03:52 PM

Re: The splits!

Having been a cheerleader/gymnasts for years I can offer a little advice on toe touches/splits. The quickest way I ever advanced with jumps was (1) strength training for your legs (2) tons of stretching, flexibility exercises and (3)practice. Just keep doing the jumps over and over again, especially one right after another. Practice the splits and try to go lower each time while avoiding injury. I also think it helps to sometimes use the trampoline to practice jumps on so if you have one it's a great tool, but it does "bump" your jump (or make you think you're higher than you would be on normal ground). Hope this helps.

Tuf 03-11-2004 05:00 PM

Welcome to ABC, nutritionfreak! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hardgaingirl, I think OldSchool (?) talked about a machine that will help you work your way to doing the splits! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] It was in the Member's Discussion Forum (perhaps in the archives), so you might want to search for that thread. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

NutMeg 03-11-2004 11:43 PM

I tell ya, with the splits ya just gotta keep trying, don't do it with cold muscles, but warm up and go as far down as you can, you'll improve. It's how I do it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

We'd have to do that in my muay thai class [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

aya 03-12-2004 02:48 AM

Always warm up before doing any splits. Be careful when you do jumps, you need to have strength and great deal of co-ordination + proffissional guidance. I sprained my ankle severely while practicing off ice rotational jumps (figure ice skating)falling on landing. do splits gradually every day go lower and lower ...
Good luck

MusicJennifer 03-12-2004 09:52 AM

Check out "foam rollers". There is a technique known as "self-myofascial release" that can increase flexibility dramatically. I use these rollers with some of my inflexible clients and even rehabilitated a polio-stricken client. The website where you can find these cheap is www.PerformBetter.com. Do a search, you should be able to find all the supporting info you need.

NutMeg 03-12-2004 11:12 AM

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, myofascial release, good stuff, the best is on the iliotibial band. It can definitely help with flexibility, but you can also hurt yourself pretty easily. Please make sure you're confident with what you're doing before you use them. MusicJennifer has her clients do it with supervision and proper training technique.

Poohbear00 03-12-2004 05:21 PM

Funny you should mention learning to do the splits because I am currently trying to learn them as well. I have a trainer (he was a proffesional gymnist for many years and now coaches a womens gym team) I start out with different stretches for the hams. For the front splits I do kneeling lunges (that is what I call them) on a mat going further and further out with the front leg. You have to maintain proper form, not leaning forward but staying upright. To do the splits side to side is a lot more difficult and usually takes up to 10 months to accomplish. It is probably going to take more than a month and a half to do the splits. I have been working at it for over 2 months now (every night) and still am unable to do the completely either way. But it does take a lot of dedication and hard work. Good luck [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Schlyder 03-12-2004 06:49 PM

Welcome nutritionfreak...

Draka49 03-12-2004 11:18 PM

stretch everyday - especially the groin and hamstrings!

thats wut i did when i could do the splits back when i was younder (8-12 yrs of age) - im a guy so i got lucky lol