ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cut who? where, when,...what? (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46158)

Braidyn 03-31-2003 12:59 PM

Cut who? where, when,...what?

Okay, I'm a little embarressed to ask this, but I will anyways, forgive my naivity...

What exactly is a "cut"? I think it's what you do when you've gained the muscle you want, and need to lean out to unconver them more.

When do you start a cut? How do you know when to end a cut?
What gets eliminated from the diet during a cut???
If I'm already eating pretty clean, what do I cut out?

Any advice would be news to me, so thanks! Braidyn

Barke 03-31-2003 01:14 PM

Re: Cut who? where, when,...what?

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm a little embarressed to ask this, but I will anyways, forgive my naivity...

What exactly is a "cut"? I think it's what you do when you've gained the muscle you want, and need to lean out to unconver them more.

When do you start a cut? How do you know when to end a cut?
What gets eliminated from the diet during a cut???
If I'm already eating pretty clean, what do I cut out?

Any advice would be news to me, so thanks! Braidyn

[/ QUOTE ]

this is cut:
http://digilander.libero.it/mrolympia/m383.jpg

Being cut is having a low bodyfat % so that muscle striations, individual muscles and muscle groups, as well as vascularity (veins) are visually apparent. To do this you must first off have adequate muscle. To gain adequate muscle you must lift weights and feed your body enough food to grow. Then after you have gained the mass, it is time to diet to lose the fat which is covering the muscle. You start a cut when you feel you have enough muscle to look "cut" or "ripped" at a bodyfat % usually under 10-13 % depending on the person. You end the cut after you feel you look ripped enough and/or are at the point in which you want to restart gaining muscle. An example "cut" diet is posted in the Nutrition tabs above (so is a "bulk" diet).

lifterchick 03-31-2003 01:21 PM

Hmmm, this seems like a job for Krypto, but I'll give you the reader's digest version [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

You are right about what a "cut" is. It's trying to lower your BF to uncover the muscle you've built underneath. Sometimes this is also called a taper, which is a bit slower than a true cut that competitors do before a contest and allows you a bit more room with your calories. I would say that is what I am on- a taper.

If you are competing, you start a cut a certain number of weeks out from a contest, I think like 12-16, but I could be wrong on that. If you're a regular Jane like me, you start a cut/taper when you feel you're happy with the amount of muscle you've gained and want to evaluate where you stand underneath the fat layer. For me, I figured out what was a reasonable goal weight to maintain, estimated the BF% I wanted to achieve, and calculated how much lean mass I would have at those goals. Once I achieved the desired LBM, it was time to cut. You end the cut when you reach your desired BF goal, which shouldn't be much lower than 12-15% for a woman, especially if you're not competing or your hormones get all wacky.

During a cut you generally reduce your overall calories and eliminate saturated fats and refined/simple sugars as much as humanly possible. If you're already eating clean, you may not have much to cut out, it may be just an issue of volume control. I know that there were still hidden sources of sugar in my own diet that Krypto helped me uncover by looking at my fitday log. Things like chewable Vitamin C (second ingredient, sugar!) and lo cal salad dressing that makes up for the lack of fat with extra sugar to make it palatable. Now I just use olive or flax oil, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard on my salads. Best thing to do is check the labels of everything you routinely eat. Hope that helps.

03-31-2003 01:43 PM

Lifterchick- what ratio of protein/carbs/fat are you on at the moment?

lifterchick 03-31-2003 01:58 PM

I'm currently doing a 40/30/30 ratio.