ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   yo-yoing = slow metabolism (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009)

mdr 02-16-2003 02:22 PM

yo-yoing = slow metabolism

THANK YOU! I've been searching and searching for this topic...because i have a desperate question. i am 22 yrs old, 5'3" 118lbs ("normal" weight - 108-110)i have struggled with anorexia and excessive exercising since high school and in college-soph. yr, i went into therapy (gained back the weight) but my behaviors are not consistently healthy again. i was doing very good for a while after the clinic- normal exercise, eating clean, and felt GREAT! but in the last year, i've started cutting calories/binging only to gain extra weight.
my question/conern/worry: i want to get back on track DESPERATELY, but how do i begin? my metabolism is so slow, that's why i'm gaining the weight slowly. but i'm afraid to increase my calories, in fear to gain MORE - how much do i need to jack them up, so that my body doesn't hold on to them to think i'm "starving"?
currently i do 1-2hrs of cardio a day (i know, too much) and lift 4 days a week. my habits are poor again...i hold off eating until i binge (usually around 4pm, after work), i don't know...then i go back to the gym bc i feel i have to burn it off--although i know it doesn't work.
PLEASE, HELP ME!!! I REALLY WANT TO GET THE RESULTS I STRIVE FOR - with my hard work at the gym, it doesn't pay off bc of my eating patterns.
PLEASE

CheezitMan22 02-16-2003 02:42 PM

Re: yo-yoing = slow metabolism

hey, im glad you're doing good, and i hope we can help! recently i've seen that somone who had a slow metabolism at the 6 meals suggested a day for lifting weights, and he said his metabolism went up!!

im kind of confused as to why your metabolsim is slow even though you do so much cardio (which by the way, isnt really good :\ ) if you want to bulk (eating more so you can build muscle faster) cut out the cardio. if you want to cut (eating a tad bit less so you can lose fat) keep some cardio in (2-3 days, anywhere from 20-30 mins). but what you're doing right now is burning too much muscle.

the binging is definately a bad idea. just try your hardest not to do it, and try to follow a strict diet. iim sure the people here could help you greatly, but as it is, im pretty new so i dont know much. once you start following a diet, cutting out some exercise (you do wayyyy too much!you even said it yourself), and deciding whether you want to lift more or do cardio more, im sure you will get better. i bet once you get things a little more organized, you're bad habits will go away too!!

02-16-2003 03:08 PM

For the most part it sounds like you KNOW what you need to do but just lack the willpower to do it. Does that sound right? If that is the case then nobody can really help you but YOU. Something to keep in mind. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As far as increasing your calories go (to increase your metabolism), I tell everyone the same thing, you need to slowly increase them, like say for example adding 100 calories every other day til you get to a reasonable caloric level. What is reasonable for you is something you will have to figure out for yourself altho you can find a ballpark number to help you. If you go to 13 Weeks To Hardcore Fat Burning - " The Diet " in the Nutrition section, there are 3 methods you can use to determine your caloric needs. I would use all three and average them for an idea of what you should increase your calories to, slowly. That will give you your number to shoot for.

Now, if you aren't already eating every 3 hours then you are also going to have to work on that. However many meals you are eating now, try to add another meal at least every other day til you get to the point where you're eating NO MORE than every 3 hours apart. These meals should, AT A MINIMUM, contain ample protein and fat. Ideally, at least the first 4 meals should contain protein, carbohydrates, and fat. The last meal or two you don't necessarily have to eat carbs. Altho if you do, just have green veggies for your carbohydrate intake. You should be getting at least your bodyweight in protein, divided up equally in each of your meals. If you aren't currently getting enough protein, then again, I would suggest you increase your protein, SLOWLY, to give your digestive system time to adjust.

A good place to keep track of your calories and macronutrient ratios (protein, carbs, fat) is on www.fitday.com It's free.

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, (compliments of Sicily1962) conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it cause it's very possible that it may be THWARTING your fat loss efforts.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGSS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Bottled Water
Diet Soda
Crystal Light

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Stevia (natural sweetener)

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PANIC if you see the scale go up a few lbs, this is normal. Most likely you will level out at a certain weight. Also, we are concerned about BODY COMPOSITION, NOT the scale weight. Who cares what you weigh if you look like a fitness model, right? What's important is the MUSCLE TO FAT RATIO. The more muscle you have, the more you're going to weigh but the less fat you have the BETTER YOU LOOK REGARDLESS of what the scale says, the scale cannot differentiate between fat and muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.

The goal here is to GAIN MUSCLE and LOSE FAT. So your scale weight may not even change or perhaps even go up. I am now 20 LBS HEAVIER than I was in HS!! But I look BETTER cause I now have more MUSCLE and LESS fat. So please keep that in mind. It's NOT about WEIGHT, it's about BODY COMPOSITION. So you have to LET GO of that scale weight, just go by how you look in the mirror. Gaining muscle will give you those sexy curves, only MUSCLE can do that and muscle weighs more than fat and to have/gain muscle you have to EAT!

That said, what's your training like? Besides the fact that you do too much cardio. You know what too much cardio is going to do for you? It's gonna give you that "SKINNY FAT" look!! You'll be thin, but flabby cause the fat will STILL be there WITHOUT the sexy muscle. Forget about the sexy curves, you won't have any cause all that cardio is gonna BURN OFF that PRECIOUS, SEXY, MUSCLE!! I'm not kidding, you need to STOP all that cardio. For starters, let's just go with twice a week for NO MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. And let me tell you this, cardio is THIRD, BEHIND, DIET & weight training for it's fat loss effectiveness. DIET is the number 1 way to lose the fat with weight training being second. A good diet will put your body into fat burning mode and the weight training will build you that sexy muscle that will burn the fat for you! That precious muscle is what burns the fat, EVEN at rest! All cardio does is burn some calories WHILE you're on the machine and if you are already in a caloric deficit, or your body is already in starvation mode, then ALL YOU ARE DOING IS BURNING OFF THE MUSCLE AND LEAVING THE FAT, plain and simple. When the body is in starvation mode, it is HANGING ON to each and EVERY fat molecule while BURNING the precious muscle for fuel. The more muscle you lose, the MORE your METABOLISM SLOWS down! Make sense?

While I'm at it, here are some good training guidelines for ya, at least to get ya started on a good program.

1. Always start with big muscle groups first. Always do chest before triceps and shoulders, always do back before biceps.

2. Work each bodypart once per week with the exception of abs and calves, you can work them 2-3 times per week if you'd like.

3. For big muscle groups, do 3-4 exercises per part, 3-4 sets per exercise.

4. For smaller muscle groups, do 2-3 exercises per part, 2-3 sets per exercise.

5. Work each muscle group to failure on each set with the exception of warm-up sets. Pick a weight where you cannot physically lift it more than 12 reps. Lift the weight til you can't lift it anymore (for 12 reps or less).

6. Take 1-3 minutes rest between each set of 6-12 reps.

7. Make up your training split based on how many days per week you can go to the gym and how long you want to spend there. Personally, I wouldn't try to do more than 2 bodyparts per session if you can help it. Reason is cause it's very difficult to maintain your intensity for more than two bodyparts. If you are really giving it all you got, you'll find it quite difficult to still have the energy to train that third bodypart.

8. Never do cardio before lifting weights, ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weight training and PREFERABLY on a separate day altogether.

9. Don't overdo it on the cardio, cardio is WAY overrated in terms of burning fat. DIET and weight training (muscle) is what's gonna burn the fat for you. For starters, I'd only do cardio twice a week for no more than 30 min and I recommend high intensity interval training if you're up to it. H.I.I.T. is explained in the "workouts" section I believe, blue tab at top.

Phew! Well, I think that's about it for now. I know it's a lot, but it's the only way I know how to help, detailed and thorough. I don't expect you to be able to grasp all this at once, so just print it out and keep re-reading it. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help you.

Welcome to Abc!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

02-16-2003 03:21 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Heen05:</font><hr> hey, im glad you're doing good, and i hope we can help! recently i've seen that somone who had a slow metabolism at the 6 meals suggested a day for lifting weights, and he said his metabolism went up!!<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Yes, because the more often you feed your body, the faster it'll burn the fuel you are giving it. It's just like throwing wood on a fire to keep it burning.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
im kind of confused as to why your metabolsim is slow even though you do so much cardio<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Her metabolism is so slow because she doesn't eat enough or often enough, it has nothing to do with cardio.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
... and try to follow a strict diet.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">That's part of the problem, she's ALREADY too hard on herself. She is basically already keeping herself on a VERY strict diet, one of not eating even if she's hungry, that takes a heck of a lot of willpower, it's just not a good thing as she has convinced herself that it is.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
..im pretty new so i dont know much.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">I don't mean to offend you, cause I realize you were only trying to help, but it is better to sit back and learn if you don't know instead of trying to give advice about things you don't understand well enough yourself, and ESPECIALLY to someone such as this young lady who is a recovering anorexic and bulemic, that's pretty serious stuff. Heck I don't even feel qualified enough to help recovering anorexics and bulemics! So if you really don't know what you're talking about, no offense, but DO NOT try to give advice if you really don't know, instead, wait to see what others have to say and learn from them first (hopefully THEY know what they're talking about) BEFORE trying to give out advice for which you don't know enough about yourself. Just give it some time, give yourself time to sit back and learn first, you don't want to be giving people incorrect advice or end up sticking your foot in your mouth. K? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font color>

mdr 02-16-2003 07:34 PM

thank you for the advice, and thank you for the understanding(from the last post). i'm working on doing this right, i'm just trying to find the RIGHT way. i know what i'm doing is wrong, but i haven't found the faith in something else to make it better, yet. i'm talking to my trainer at the gym again tomorrow--we've become friends. she has tried helping me with the food part before...i'm going to do it this time. i'll let you know what she says and see what you think.

02-16-2003 07:43 PM

I know that it's a very tough thing to get over and the best I can do for you is just to educate you on the RIGHT way to eat and train, the rest is up to you. So as far as seeking advice/counseling on your disorder, that of course I am unqualified to help you with, especially since I have no experience with it myself. You'll have to make sure you see someone specificially for that. And it sounds like you're on the right track! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

mdr 02-17-2003 09:53 AM

so what's the RIGHT way to eat and train? EXACTLY ?...oh yeah...what you wrote above, right:) . i will beat these head-games i play with myself, because i can't hurt myself and lie to those i love. that is the worst part about the disorder. and i want the strength and body that i train for, that i'm not getting, bc of some of my poor habits.
so....where do i begin:):)
i printed off your post and my trainer is going to look at yet ANOTHER diet for me. i'm afraid that in eating 5-6 small meals that will only total me to 1000-1200cal. funny to be worried about not eating enough calories (wink), but i am knowledgable and i DO know that if i keep eating TOO FEW calories my body will only hold onto that as fat and my metabolism won't increase. however, if i eat TOO MANY cal. than i will also gain fat. so, i'm really searching for that medium. i have also printed off the "3 ways to find your cal intake" in those articles and i'm taking them into the gym this am. THANK YOU!! all your information is so helpful to me, please keep it coming

02-17-2003 04:27 PM

If ya haven't already, read thru the "eating disorders" thread. There are a lot of others in your same boat, so much support there and also, OldSchool typed up two EXCELLENT posts in there as well that I'd like ya to read. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Quick link: eating disorders

mdr 02-17-2003 06:35 PM

i'm checking them out right now, however i did go through that thread...it was refreshing to find that, since that area is so "hush-hush" to talk about it seems. like it's not there--when it is more than most would like.
another question--how many calories should i be taking in throughout my day (5-6 meals). i'm concerned, like i said before to get too few calories OR too many. it's easy, in 5-6 meals to only get 1000-1200 cal. but that's too few right? but too many? i don't know what to aim for. my gutt tells me i need to JUMP the cals up and not waiver, or i'm going to keep my metabolism at it's low and not get it back up. thoughts? thanx

02-17-2003 06:50 PM

Check out the 13 wk hardcore fat burning article , it gives 3 methods for determining your caloric intake. I would average the results of all three to give you a ballpark idea of what your calorie intake should be. Then, what you do, is SLOWLY increase them to that number. Add like 100 cals every other day til you get to where you should be. And be sure you are eating every 2-3 hours, meals balanced with protein, carbs, and fat or AT LEAST with protein and fat if you prefer not to have any carbs at night. Green veggies for carbs at night are fine though. Also, rule of thumb is to get at least your bodyweight in protein, divided up EQUALLY into each of your meals. If you are not currrently consuming enough protein then slowly increase that as well. Hope this helps. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]