ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   just starting (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32208)

specialk10467 08-11-2002 10:47 AM

just starting

hi girls, my name is kathy and i'm new to this site. i have a couple of questions if somebody could help me out i would appreciate it. first, i am 6ft tall and weigh around 200lbs. i do alot of cardio(running and boxing). i am just starting to lift weights and i would like to get my weight down to around 175 (solid muscle). my bodyfat is 28%. considering all the cardio i do, i should be very lean, but my diet is very bad. i will be starting the 12 week fat burning/workout. my question is, in the program it says to only do cardio 2x a week. is that enough? i always see in the magazines that you should do cardio in the morning before breakfast to burn the most fat. i know my biggest downfall is my diet, but i am ready to make the sacrifice. thanks for your suggestions. [img]/forum/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

luvmypt 08-11-2002 12:03 PM

Re: just starting

I can only speak from my experience. I used to do the cardio thing 3-4 times a week with some haphazard lifting in between. Didn't see squat for results.

Got a trainer to show me how to lift correctly, got started on a regular routine, cut the cardio to 1 or 2 times per week. Finally saw results. I would have seen even better results had I got the diet part straightened out.

Bottom line- cardio will help your heart health but it won't do as much for your body as lifting regularly and getting your diet under control.

Lifting means using enough weight to make it tough, not those little pink 1, 3, 5 lbs weights!

bilbobaggins 08-11-2002 06:16 PM

You might also try the 13 week diet if you are looking to be more hardcore. I used it and got shredded.
As for cardio, do it about 2-4 days a week. Thats fine. Jacob always says his programs are customizable. but like Luv says weights are the key to body composition changes

specialk10467 08-11-2002 07:30 PM

thanks for the advice. i start my training program tomorrow. i'll keep you posted.

President Wilson 08-11-2002 09:22 PM

Welcome to the boards Kathy [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Feel free to post your diet, etc. And good luck!

Philia2 08-12-2002 04:40 AM

Ooooooouuuhhh another tall woman!!!! lol I'm no longer alone!!!! A huuuge welcome to you!

08-12-2002 07:45 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by luvmypt:</font><hr /> I can only speak from my experience. I used to do the cardio thing 3-4 times a week with some haphazard lifting in between. Didn't see squat for results.

Got a trainer to show me how to lift correctly, got started on a regular routine, cut the cardio to 1 or 2 times per week. Finally saw results. I would have seen even better results had I got the diet part straightened out.

Bottom line- cardio will help your heart health but it won't do as much for your body as lifting regularly and getting your diet under control.

Lifting means using enough weight to make it tough, not those little pink 1, 3, 5 lbs weights! <hr /></blockquote>

EXACTLY! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif Same here. I did cardio out the ying yang since I was 18 years old, never did anything for me other than to keep me from getting fat cause I was a carbohydrate, junk food junkie, QUEEN!! LOL! It wasn't until I started lifting that I started seeing results and then I got even better results when I got the diet part straightened out. So take it from us! Been there, done that. We'll get ya goin' in the right direction now! [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Annam54 08-14-2002 10:50 AM

Hellllllooo ladies!!! [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I am a 21 yr old f who LOVES training. I am fairly new in the game. I do have some concerns however...If anyone wants to help me out!
For about 2 years I did kick boxing consistently, 4,5 times a week, no weight training. Then b/c of my schooling (policing) I was forced to get strong. I am 5.3 and 110 pounds, so pretty small. I did not have the physical upper body strentgh to pass the tests. Thus, began weight training.
I am confused first of all as to why I never really saw results doing my kick boxing so much? I never really wanted to lose weight, just look better overall.
Now, I have cut my cardio to 2x weekly, and weight training 4x a week. My diet is good, I dont have a specific routine day to day, I just make sure to keep my carbs low and proteins up.
Here is my gym routine:
one-back, tris, abs
two-legs, delts abs
three-chest. bis abs
four-rest
five-repeat back to one
PLUS I include my tae bo as my cardio 2-3 times in b/w....
Any suggestions would be great [img]/forum/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]