ABCbodybuilding

ABCbodybuilding (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/index.php)
-   Female Specific Athletic Forum (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Calisthenics (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31646)

Jolie 08-03-2002 06:11 PM

Calisthenics

Ok so, I've moved back home for the rest of the summer. I'm not about to buy a gym membership here for like 3 or 4 weeks so I'm putting my creative mind to use here and training with calisthenics (body weight exercises) and outdoors forms of cardio such as walking, jogging/running, cycling and swimming.

My calisthenics include push-ups, TONS of abdominal work, squats, calf raises and dips.

Just wondering if anyone has any awesome suggestions, any awesome calisthenic exercises they have used before that they could share.

Thanx a bunch! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The 509th 08-03-2002 07:28 PM

Re: Calisthenics

You may want to try jumping rope, like boxers do. I do it occasionally when I don't run & it is pretty killer on you, a great workout.

Jolie 08-03-2002 07:33 PM

That is such a great suggestion! I can't believe I had forgotten about skipping...I love it and I was doing it all the time in previous summers.

Thanx a bunch! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

luvmypt 08-04-2002 09:14 AM

I hope I don't get boo'd off this thread but before I joined the Y, I bought those video tapes called 'The Firm'. It combines weight lifting with cardio. After the first time (and second and third) of using that tape, I couldn't walk after having done all the squats & lunges in that tape.
I used to call the tape- ' Painful Hardbodies'.

I think it's a great alternative to a gym membership. You can select whatever weights that give you the 'burn'.

ementz 08-04-2002 09:17 AM

Tae bo and pull ups(back)

sicily1962 08-06-2002 04:46 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Jolie:</font><hr /> Ok so, I've moved back home for the rest of the summer. I'm not about to buy a gym membership here for like 3 or 4 weeks so I'm putting my creative mind to use here and training with calisthenics (body weight exercises) and outdoors forms of cardio such as walking, jogging/running, cycling and swimming.

My calisthenics include push-ups, TONS of abdominal work, squats, calf raises and dips.

Just wondering if anyone has any awesome suggestions, any awesome calisthenic exercises they have used before that they could share.

Thanx a bunch! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Jolie,
you could also do walking lunges up a steep grade, lunge up and walk down. It's a great HIT workout that really burns up some fat, do it for 20min.
run bleachers at your local high school also..or run sprints on their track.
there is a ton of stuff to do...be creative!
Margie

President Wilson 08-07-2002 02:33 AM

Calisthenics are excellent Jolie. And they will shock your body as well, and increase mitochondrial density, cappilarization, among other things.

Just get creative. On pushups go incline, decline, flat, wide grip, between chairs, close grip for the triceps with all the variations above.

Same thing with deep knee bends. Go heels elivated, all the way down, parallel, skee squats.

Also do allot of flexing between sets.